LAN control question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSubstitute

Beta member
As part of a university network I'm beginning to do file sharing on my computer, as well as downloading files from fellow student's computers. I've come across several computer with notices stating that they would ban anyone who tries to download more than one file at a time, and this is after I've in the past been disconnected from such people before.

So I know these people knows how to disconnect other users from their computers, after being able to identify who they are and the fact that they're downloading more than a single file at once.

I'm curious to how one goes about doing so. I've searched and downloaded plenty of network related softwares with no luck. As I've started sharing some of my files I'd like to be able to establish the same restriction for fair traffic to everyone. So I'd really appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Out of curiousity, what kind of sharing software are they using? Are you all sharing via an internal FTP site, file sharing program or just straight-up Windows?

-Michael

Just straight up windows I guess. There's a piece of software called Lanscan floating around the network but when it comes to copying the files we're still using good old windows far as I know.

it might be software on te server end managing the downloads that prevents you from doing that. that would be straight up server management. is this with everyone you download from?

Basically it's just a LAN, we look at each other's computers for shared folders and download them. But some people knows how to monitor other user's activities on their computer, thus deciding to disconnect people who're downloading more than a single file at once.

sounds to me like there is a software in place here,,, one person could not "actively" monitor the amount of data transmission,,

I think they put this stuff in place to ensure that bandwidth is being constantly released,,,

thus ensuring the continued movement of data across the LAN and that no one starts complaining,,

this is simple network management,, software solution I would bet ,, with rules in place,,

Although ,, in windows 2k, I know you are able to monitor connections to your pc,,and have the option to disconnect,, but for that to happen across the LAN would mean that the majority of the users have win2k,,,somehow ,, I cant see that logistic happening, unless the pc was supplied by the university,,

cheers,

Yes, even within 2000, you can monitor which files are currently being accessed by other users and disconnect them or even "ban" them from any access to your machine at all.

-Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom