KILL command on win 2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.

selina

In Runtime
Symantec Antivirus v.10.0.2 is not working well on some of my servers.
I wanted to restart the service to see if it helps. But instead of stopping/starting, the service is hanging at "Stopping" state.
I know reboot would solve this problem but I would like to avoid that.

I looked in MS KB and found out about "kill" command. When I tried this command on 1 of the servers, it comes back as "could not kill"
I'm doing this admin logged in remotely. but i've added admin "roaming profile" as debugger but still doesn't do the trick.

is there any other way to quit the service w/o reboot?

selina said:
Symantec Antivirus v.10.0.2 is not working well on some of my servers.
I wanted to restart the service to see if it helps. But instead of stopping/starting, the service is hanging at "Stopping" state.
I know reboot would solve this problem but I would like to avoid that.

I looked in MS KB and found out about "kill" command. When I tried this command on 1 of the servers, it comes back as "could not kill"
I'm doing this admin logged in remotely. but i've added admin "roaming profile" as debugger but still doesn't do the trick.

is there any other way to quit the service w/o reboot?

UNINSTALL SYMANTEC

umm... before I do anything stupid, i wanna clarify this.
I jsut found 2 explorer.exe on the server... is it normall?

thx derrmc.
well, i want to avoid reinstalling symantec *again*. i already went through this and it's really difficult to solve all the problems i'm having with symantec unless i reinstall on all servers, which involves rebooting them. another reason for that is that we are going to upgrade our system in a few weeks. at that time, everything should be reinstalled and all that. so why the hassle now?
but i wanna make sure that we are safe.

is it fine to kill both explorer.exe and restart one? or two?

selina said:
thx derrmc.
well, i want to avoid reinstalling symantec *again*. i already went through this and it's really difficult to solve all the problems i'm having with symantec unless i reinstall on all servers, which involves rebooting them. another reason for that is that we are going to upgrade our system in a few weeks. at that time, everything should be reinstalled and all that. so why the hassle now?
but i wanna make sure that we are safe.

is it fine to kill both explorer.exe and restart one? or two?

restart one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom