Keylogger on USB key thumb drive? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 05:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to aparis99 Send a message via Yahoo to aparis99
Default Keylogger on USB key thumb drive?

I was just wondering if there is a way to virtually load a keylogging program onto a USB thumb drive... anyone messed with this?

The goal is to, if needed, plug in a USB key and have it keylog any suspicious activity...

Or, what about a standalone keylogger that runs without the need of installing... it runs by its own EXE?

Old 07-22-2005, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to TheHeadFL

Not that I would condone this, but, if you have physical access to the PC, there are keyloggers that plug inline on the PS2 port for the keyboard. That is absolutely the most stealth form I have ever seen them in.

The logged text can be retrieved by going into a text editor and keying in a custom phrase which signals the logger to dump its output.

Linux: P3 450Mhz, 386MB ram, Slackware 10.1 (Running mySQL/Apache)
Old 07-22-2005, 06:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Have you tried just installing the program and using the USB as the install directory? I have tried that with some spyware apps so i could use them on other computers. Just make sure you dont leave anything on your main machine(shortcuts and such). Try that and see what happens.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-22-2005, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to dumdum8684

Quote:
Originally posted by TheHeadFL
Not that I would condone this, but, if you have physical access to the PC, there are keyloggers that plug inline on the PS2 port for the keyboard. That is absolutely the most stealth form I have ever seen them in.

The logged text can be retrieved by going into a text editor and keying in a custom phrase which signals the logger to dump its output.
keyghost.com has them. I personally have one and i love it. The nice feature about it is that you can log on a computer, unplug it and plug it into another computer and d/l the log file. That could be the thing that you are looking for.

And before anyone jumps in and says..."Key Loggers are illegal now," the law that was passed recently doesn't affect owners of the machine or if you have permision from the owner.

-Aaron

PS Installing it on a USB drive would be tricky because you have to keep in mind that the auto-start and registry settings would be left on the computer when you took the key logger away.

My Computer:
-UV Reactive Acrylic Mid-Size Case
-Thermaltake 420W
-AMD Athlon XP \"Barton\" 3200+ 400MHz
-Cooler Master Aero7+
-Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
-nVidia GeForce FX 5700 128MB
-2x Kingston HyperX 512MB PC3200
-2x 200GB WD 7200 8MB SATA
-2x 12\" UV Cold Cathodes
-5x 80MM 4UV LED Blue UV-Reactive Fans

My Laptop:
P3 750MHz, 512MB, CD-RW/DVD Combo, 15.1\" TFT, 20GB HD, 32MB integrated video
Old 07-22-2005, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

keep in mind it's illegal if it isn't your own PC and with you wanting a keylogging on a USB it makes me think that you are taking this to other computers and plugging it in the USB drive. That is a big no no with big fines.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 07-23-2005, 01:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

i'm sure that pep talk really did some good

Closed Thread