kernel_data_inpage_error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squaggleboggin

In Runtime
On a computer I just built using all new parts (and one old hdd), I keep getting the "kernel_data_inpage_error" screen. I Googled it and someone said that it means the hdd on which XP is installed is set to slave; someone else said it means the hdd is giving out. Would setting the hdd to master solve the problem? I'm guessing it's not the latter because it's a brand new computer.

I need to know what the second parameter is....which is usually ox00000007A as an example.

Here are some possible causes:

0xC000009A, or STATUS_INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES, indicates a lack of nonpaged pool resources.

0xC000009C, or STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR, indicates bad blocks (sectors) on the hard disk.

0xC000009D, or STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED, indicates defective or loose data or power cables, a problem with SCSI termination, or improper controller or disk configuration.

0xC000016A, or STATUS_DISK_OPERATION_FAILED, indicates bad blocks (sectors) on the hard disk.

0xC0000185, or STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR, indicates improper termination, defective storage controller hardware, or defective disk cabling, or two devices attempting to use the same resources.

Resolving the Problem

Stop 0x7A can be caused by bad sectors in the virtual memory paging file, disk controller error, virus infection, or memory hardware problems. In extremely rare cases, depleted nonpaged pool resources can cause this error. If the first and third parameters are zero, the stack signature in the kernel stack is missing, an error typically caused by defective hardware. If the I/O status is 0xC0000185 and the paging file is on a SCSI disk, check for cabling and termination issues. An I/O status code of 0xC000009C or 0xC000016A indicates that the requested data could not be found. You can try to correct this by restarting the computer. If a problem with disk integrity exists, Autochk, a program that attempts to mark bad disk sectors as defective so that they are not used in the future, starts automatically. If Autochk fails to run, you can manually perform the integrity check yourself by following the instructions to run Chkdsk provided in "Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM" earlier in this appendix. For more information about Autochk and Chkdsk, see "Troubleshooting Disks and File Systems" in this book.

Another cause of Stop 0x7A messages is defective, malfunctioning, or failed memory hardware, such as memory modules, Level 2 (L2) SRAM cache, or video adapter RAM. If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace it to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. Run diagnostics software supplied by the system manufacturer to determine if the component has failed.

Check the hardware manufacturer's Web site for updates to disk adapter firmware or drivers that improve compatibility. Verify that your disks and controller support the same set of advanced features, such as higher transfer rates. If necessary, select a slower transfer rate if an update is not yet available. Consult your hardware or device documentation for more information.

Important

You can install disk controller drivers not present on the Windows XP Professional operating system CD by responding to the following prompt shortly after starting Setup:
Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.
Press F6, and when prompted, provide the appropriate storage controller driver (ATA or SCSI) supplied by the manufacturer.

The problem might also be due to cracks, scratched traces, or defective components on the motherboard. If all else fails, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing.

Problems that cause Stop 0x7A messages can also cause Stop 0x77 messages. For more information about Stop 0x77 messages, see "Stop 0x00000077 or KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR" earlier in this appendix.

Does this help? Did I list the correct parameter?

Thanks for the replies. I just found the CD that came with the mobo for all the drivers (smacks self on forehead). I must've been pretty excited when I first opened everything, because this is the second thing I've missed so far. I copied down what the error said last time it came up. "stop: 0x0000007A (0xE16EFD7C, 0xC000000E, 0xBF9238C6, 0x19D42860) [next line] win32k.sys - address BF9238C6 base at BE800000, datestamp 4225181e"

I should also say that when I set my other (newer, better) hdd to master, it doesn't detect the other hdd and won't even boot. That's why I have it set to slave in the first place. I suppose I could try again since I installed RAID drivers from the mobo disc, anyone think that would solve the problem (like I said I tried once before and it didn't work, but that was without the new drivers)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom