keep logging off

Status
Not open for further replies.

demented_devil

Solid State Member
I use the internet a bit and i keep getting logged off if i don't go to another page or hit on a hyperlink. sometimes i see a message saying you will be logged of in 30 seconds 29 seconds 28 seconds...etc. i download quite a bit and leave the computer alone when i am but it keeps logging off. what can i do to stop it doing this.

We need more info. What type of connection do you have? What OS do you have? Does your ISP require activity to remain logged on?
Some IPS will og you off if there is no request activity. In other words if you aren't activly surfing they shut you down.

Go to the Microsoft Update website and download all of the latest hotfixes/service packs, and do a virus scan, and a spyware/adware scan.

I have windows ME and how can i turn it off so with no activity it dosen't log me off. What is an ISP munber (I don't know alot about the internet).

i dont think many ppl like windows ME to start with..maybe that is ur problem
what internet provider do u use i think is what they asked. as in msn or something. and do u use dial up? or dsl? there was a program called: stay on pro... i dont like it but u could see if itll keep u logged online :) and as Elbatrop1 said.. scan for viruses and things.

Hmm, downloading is certainly activity, and your ISP shouldn't be disconnecting you for that (unless it's a budget ISP, then they might), but ME might not see that sort of activity. If the message saying you are going to be disconnected appears in an Internet explorer window, or a java scipt window(and the below dial up procedure show no auto disconnect enabled), then it is almost certainly your ISP.
With dial-up:
Try IE->Tools->Internet options->Connections->*higlight your dial-up connection*->Settings->look for an option involving auto disconnect
With DSL/cable, it could be your ethernet card going to sleep (although activity (even d/ling) would almost certainly keep it awake, and it wouln't give you that message). Go to Control Panel->System->Device Manager-> find ethernet card->*right click*->Properties->Power Management->uncheck "allow coomuter to turn off device"
I just ran through both of those on XP, so the process my differ slightly on ME.

I'm on dial up and i did what you said digitaloracle about going into settings but there's nothing there about auto disconnect so i have absolutely no idea whats happening I'm going to scan for viruses when i can. Thanx everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom