just plain help

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
my 8+ year old computer is getting bad enough that i am almost to the point of doing a complete reinstall of the o.s. its very slow (4minutes 18 seconds to boot up) it freezes and locks up very often, more than a few of the programs will not even work anymore, and if they do, they crash part way through. i have run the antivirus thru full system scan along with super anti spyware, and advanced system care all several times. but none of that fixes it. i am going out today to buy a big sd card to back up files on so i do not loose them altogether. is there any other free or free to try downloadable program, that may save me the day and a half to 2 days of wiping the system clean, downloading service packs and tons of documents and programs?

your probably looking at less than a day to back up, reinstall windows. Downloading Service pack 1 might help with getting updates and having all your drivers ready after you wipe the drive helps a lot too.
How much data do you need to back up?
Getting an SSD would help performance too
A good clean out of the inside might be necessary and you can inspect the capacitors on the motherboard to be sure they are o.k. too. When they fail, you can get erratic operation like freeze ups and long boot times

Last edited:
Try running a chkdsk. Assuming Windows 7 since you didn't specify:

Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

Why dont you want to reinstall the os? Thats what I always do. And, just to save the hassle of backups, beforehand, whenever you had any important files, you should have just uploaded them to a cloud! I don't know why I'm the only person who likes reinstalling my os every 6 months or finds it exciting watching loading bars!

Why dont you want to reinstall the os? Thats what I always do. And, just to save the hassle of backups, beforehand, whenever you had any important files, you should have just uploaded them to a cloud! I don't know why I'm the only person who likes reinstalling my os every 6 months or finds it exciting watching loading bars!

Reinstall should be a last resort when troubleshooting IMO. Dislike when that's the "go to" solution for techs. Last place I worked, there were quite a few of those kinds of people - I was one of the few that actually would troubleshoot an issue with a user and make it so they didn't have to spend the time reinstalling all of their stuff.

years ago, i had an e-machine computer. i believe it ran xp. at that point in time, the only "fix" that i knew of was to reinstall the o.s. well, i did that so many times, that it actually caused something to fail inside the computer, and after 3 tries of 2-4 hour phone calls with e-machine, they finally told me to box it up, and send it back. they sent a call tag (thankfully) and 2 weeks later, i got it back. i remember that they replaced the hard drive, and something else. so besides the hours and hours and hours of reinstalling things, it can be done to excess. this poor old machine has had the o.s. reinstalled roughly 4 or 5 times. and every time, its more of a pain to do. because the amount of data i have to reinstall just keeps growing. and the number of fixes that microsoft keeps installing. imo, the Vista o.s should be on service pack 3 by now. or, better yet, a free update to windows 7. it really does take me a day and a half to reinstall the o.s. and restore all the other software and data. this has a 320gb hard drive, and i thought that was huge. when the first terabite drive came out, i thought who in the world will ever need a drive that big. this drive is about 2/3rds full. 2 things i know i want on the next computer will be a 1TB hard drive minimum, and a usb 3.0 to speed up data transfer. and the first upgrade to it will be as big of a cloud as i can possibly afford. anyway, getting back to this one, it runs Vista Home Premium. which is as dated as the machine, because vista was new when the computer was. i had forgotten to run chkdsk. i will give that a shot. it WILL take a while!

oh, Joe C., this computer is to dated to start throwing money into upgrades. it really is just about time for a new one. but at this point, i will have to wait until i get a motorcycle fixed, to sell so i can afford it. but even if i had cash in hand, i would wait for windows 10 to be released. i certainly hope windows 10 is as good a system as the hype. because i will be stuck with it for a long time if its not.

well, i did not get it quite right. but it did run. just in read only mode. anyway, i am not sure if this will work or not. but i will try copy and pasting the results. Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>C: /f /r

C:\Windows\system32>C:chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is HP.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
348096 file records processed.
File verification completed.
760 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
60 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
410856 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
348096 security descriptors processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
31381 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
36471840 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

305998055 KB total disk space.
133948108 KB in 195721 files.
119772 KB in 31382 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
467231 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
171462944 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
76499513 total allocation units on disk.
42865736 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Windows\system32>

ok, i ran it in repair mode. the last i saw last night it was at the beginning of step 5, and i could tell it was going to be a while! so i went o bed. at that point, everything was fine. this morning, the computer was in sleep mode. when i woke it up, it came right to the log in screen. so i have to bielieve that everything is ok. or there would be additional instructions on how to repair.

Back
Top Bottom