just installed xp, wont boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

islindsey

Solid State Member
Hey I am new here and I like what I have seen so far, I just installed Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 for a friend. Due to lack of work space I pull the HDD and put it in my computer then unplugged my HDD. I installed windows successfully and got it set up. I replace the HDD in the friend computer and booted it to verify my work. After running the system tests it goes to a black screen with a flashing cursor much like a command prompt. It will not let you do anything from here. I have tried countless bios settings and even tried reinstalling Windows again on said computer, and nothing changes. I have to say that I am quite dumfounded by this and would like any suggestions. Thank you kindly.

You need to install windows on the original machine, you can't install it on yours then put it back into your friends.

Just to clarify,
1) Is windows fully installed on the hard drive from the friends computer right now?
2) You have problems installing windows?
3) Just can't boot up with windows installed?

Why wont it work installing from the original machine? What errors are you getting?

The reason you cant just put it in your machine and then in the original machine is simple. The hardware is not the same. The drivers installed for your pc do not match the what needs to be installed for the original machine and it cant operate.

So you gave to tell us why it doesnt work or what errors you are getting so we can get it working for you.

@ Brinks: 1)yes 2)no and 3)no
@KSoD: All I am getting is a black screen with a blinking cursor. No errors are displayed.

Another friend of mine told me that I should try to install linux and work from there.

@ Brinks: 1)yes 2)no and 3)no
@KSoD: All I am getting is a black screen with a blinking cursor. No errors are displayed.

Another friend of mine told me that I should try to install linux and work from there.

It's going to give you a black screen because you can't put the HDD in your computer, install Windows, and then put it in your friend's computer and expect it to work. This is due to what KSoD said, because it has different hardware profiles.

Why weren't you initially able to install it on your friend's computer?

If you want, you can try doing a repair install on the XP install while the drive is in your friend's computer.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

You're more than likely not going to be able to do it. With different hardware profiles, it won't work. It's Windows way of preventing you from reinstalling a copy on your machine, swapping out a hard drive, and doing it over and over again with one copy. I'd recommend an OEM copy online that way you can install a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom