just had to install win98 and having problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2005, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default just had to install win98 and having problems

let me start out by giving the background of my situation. For about the past 40 days my computer has been incapasitated due to over heating issues. This past weekend I finally got it up and running but my OS (WinXP pro) was still fubar. Stupid me though lost my XP disc (I am still crying because of it)and I had to install win98. Now just earlier today I finished getting drivers and other things up and running and 2 programs installed (firefox and trillian) but even after updating to the newest catalyst drivers (i have a radeon 9600) my graphics are still VERY bad. By this I mean I cant see pictures on the internet in their full color. I have run out of ideas and have already tried reinstalling the drivers. also maybe related I am getting a series of errors while starting up my computer. One after the other my computer says that it cannot find these three files (this is all while still in the DOS type mode) vnetsup.vxd ; vredir.vxd ; dfs.vxd; also once it gets into win98 it brings up an error saying that a dynamic link library cannot be found called msnp32.dll and that microsoft network may not work. SO any info on either of these issues would be awsome

Old 11-14-2005, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

that's 98 for ya...

so, this computer was designed for xp?

I'd just download an xp iso, and use the product key on the side of the computer to activate it...

Old 11-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

well I built the computer myself (still have my cd key luckily) guess i will just download an .iso or something then and try that.

and all I wana do is just play world of warcraft nothing else

here is what it looks like when in my options
Old 11-15-2005, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

out of curiousity...why didnt you pick windows me or 2000?
Closed Thread