Jerky games - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2017, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unhappy Jerky games

My first question so if it is in the wrong place or just plain dumb please inform me. Also I don't explain myself so well anymore. Almost 8 decades have eroded my typing, thinking and perception.

Q. Lately I cannot really use Microsoft solitaire games because the pointer jerks around, the cards over shuffle, sometimes don't go where they are directed. This is not limited to silly games, but scrolling has become jerky or just plain "won't". I listed my computer world for reference. Hope it helps.

Note I use Microsoft exclusively and standard software, including explorer 11. I have been advised to move to chrome, foxtrot, other platforms, but I am set in my ways.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8080 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1988 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 456 GB (286 GB Free); D: 9 GB (1 GB Free); G: 1862 GB (1523 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1497
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

Old 02-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Jerky games

This could be resolved by simply buying a cheap video card to add to your PC. Something like a cheap Nvidia GT730 would work well and alleviate your issues.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Ghost

A jerky mouse cursor leads me to believe it's probably related TO the mouse, not necessarily the graphics card. Thoughts PP?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke127 View Post
A jerky mouse cursor leads me to believe it's probably related TO the mouse, not necessarily the graphics card. Thoughts PP?
If it were mouse issues, scrolling most likely wouldn't have issues as well, because that's a different input. Usually with jerky cursor movements, it's a dirty or bad sensor.

Trying a different port (if it's a USB mouse) would also be an option, though.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Build Guru

General slowing down of directdraw apps and hardware accelerated experiences like browsing lead me to GPU. He's using an old HD2000 IGP and I remember having similar issues with an HD4000 here at work.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the look-see at my problem. That got my juices going.
1. The mouse is smooth. Scrolling is not. That leaves me to think the adds in the web sites are not working correctly. I can scroll and the system will stop, rest, sip a beer and then start working. Sometimes the ads will jump up and down some. These ads generally have a little blue triangle in the corner of the ad.l

I thought about updating to a new processor but I hate windows 10. I have it on a lap top. If it were a wife I would sell it to first camel driver that came down the street.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

Just use adblock.

Access to my Plex PM me.