Javascript OK in Mozilla; won't work in IE6 and Firefox - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2004, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Javascript OK in Mozilla; won't work in IE6 and Firefox

Windows 98SE. Javascript won't load in IE6. I downloaded msjavx86.exe, turned off ad-subtract pop-up stopper, and still, I can't get JavaScript to work in IE6. Also, it will not work in Firefox, but it WILL WORK in Mozilla. All viruses up to date, also have installed SP1 for IE6, can access the Sun java website with no problem. Eliminating the windows/hosts file doesn't make any difference either. Also checked settings in IE6 to "default" but that doesn't help either. Security settings in IE6 are default; in Firefox, web feature for JAVA is enabled.

Anyone have any suggestions how I can get it to work in IE6 and Firefox? Why does it work in Mozilla but not in IE6 and Firefox? In each instance, putting the cursor over the link indicates javascript in the lower left corner, but clicking on it does absolutely nothing; it sits like a bump on a log! HELP!

Old 08-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default JAVA Script won't work in IE6 & Firefox

I just experienced this yesterday (8/24/04) and from what I can determine from the notice that displayed in my Firefox browser the JAVA plug-in may have become disabled from the installation of a recent MS update. I manage a small LAN and this has affected two of the PCs in a different way.

First, both PCs refuse to run anything with a JAVA applet and one of them will not even access the Windows Update site because Microsoft is saying I am running Win 2K (I'm running 98SE), that I must have administrator rights (which I do) & when I go to the JAVA site to download a new JAVA plugin, a notice displays on their site indicating that it cannot download or install the plugin because of a configuration error. I am also unsuccessful at getting it to see that JAVA is running when I manually download and install JAVA.

On the other hand, the PC running Firefox 0.9. will allow me to access the Update site correctly using IE 6.0. I uninstalled the last update, redownloaded and installed JAVA, but it did not work. I even tried using GoBack and restored one machine to a period 4 days ago, but to no avail.

I have been able to email Microsoft about the problem since the do offer free support for users that are unable to access their Update site.

I'll post a fix when or if I get one. Otherwise, if anyone else is having this problem and has a solution, please post it ASAP.
Closed Thread