Java

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0t

In Runtime
Allright, so a family member installed Java on the computer and it turns out I got a virus because of it. My anti-virus couldnt delete the virus so I had to go into the directory and delete the files manually. Don't know if this guarantees they'll be gone for good though. Also, yesterday I couldnt open FireFox. I think it was because of Java since the little Java icon appeared in the taskbar. So, Is Java safe? Is there any way to completely remove it so there are 0 traces left? Thanks for all the help.

Java is a programming language developed by Sun Microsystems, it is not a virus. Much of the web such as chat applets, games, web cams applets etc etc are written using Java. It can be removed through Windows "add/remove programs" found in your Control Panel. Java is safe and as mentioned much of the web uses it.

Well, yes I realize its a requirement for alot of websites. I found a virus in it's cache though and it wouldnt let me open up FireFox either. I want to completely remove it so there are 0 traces left. Would unninstalling it using "Add/Remove programs" unninstall it completely? Is it safe to go into the windows registry and delete everything java related?

You should be fine (though don't hold me to that ;) ) but I would back up your registry just in case.

I see. Well, at times it appears on my taskbar. Even if Im not running a Java related program. Why does this happen? Also, why couldnt I open Firefox the other night?

By default Java sets a task tray icon when you open your default browser. It can be disabled through options when you open Java from the Control Panel. As for why Firefox would not open, I'm not sure.

Bah, I just want to get rid of it now. So, just go into the "Add/Remove" Windows option and delete it from there? See, I want there to be 0 traces of this program left. I want nothing to do with it. So, woulda simple remove via Window's Add/Remove programs remove it completely? Or would there still be traces left?

There may be traces left after an uninstall. If you wanna be sure then back up your registry and search "java" and delete what you find.

Ok.. The "Java" runtime should not be causing you any negative problems from my experience. If you "do" have problems that conincide with the installation of "Java", then it might be some other program (e.g. virus) that piggybacked on the install.

Doing "add/remove programs" will not remove any viruses obviously if that is what happened. ANd I highly doubt Java itself is causing you any problems. Just so that you know, my computer runs the Java runtime all the time. And I use firefox also.

Well the virus was in Java's cache. I had to manually remove the viruses. Now, Im pretty sure the viruses are gone but I dont want this to happen again. It also wouldnt let me open FireFox up either yesterday, and I think it was due to Java.

To Tribal: How do I backup my registry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom