I've been hacked. Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

fasteddie9273

Beta member
I have windows xp pro and I have been hacked into. Symantec say's I need to format and reinstall xp. They said it is a Backdoor trojan. I have copied all my things I want to save but don't know how i should format.Please help. I'm not to savvy with the computer so I need info in layman terms. Thanks for any help you can provide

fasteddie9273

fasteddie9273 said:
I have windows xp pro and I have been hacked into. Symantec say's I need to format and reinstall xp. They said it is a Backdoor trojan. I have copied all my things I want to save but don't know how i should format.Please help. I'm not to savvy with the computer so I need info in layman terms. Thanks for any help you can provide

fasteddie9273

First off, this post doesn't belong in the "Site Feedback & Suggestions" forum ;)

Thread moved vile! :)

You don't have to format to remove a backdor trojan, but anyway..

You said you copied all the things you want to save..Does this mean they are backed up already?

If you *know* what you want to save, just burn the files, so you can restore them later, after the install. If they are too big to burn, or you dont' want to do that, I recommend downloading Parition Magic (or use XPs Disk Managmeent features) to create a new parition, and then put your backup/data on this new parition. That way when you format your main parition (C:\) you won't loose your data.

The easiest way to reinstall/format, is to go into BIOS, change your boot sequence to CD first, then boot with the XP cd, and it will give you the option to format the parition before installing. I recommend doing it this way. Once the XP setup formats, it will install XP, and you're all set.

Symantec told you to format and reinstall???????

What on earth did they tell you that for? Did they have a red nose, long shoes and bright orange hair.....................?

Why don't you just remove it? Then get a good firewall to block all open ports as default then scan your system and remove any other nasties.

Maybe ya could just try to repair XP first, much simpler than a fresh install and it usually works, Hopefully! Symantec aka Norton:mad:

get Zone Alarm, and don't format and try to use anti-spyware software

once Optus told us to reformat just to install the internet, my dad brought the computer to one of his friends on the other side of the city and 2 weeks later was when we got it back, all data lost and nothing recovered from before.
Don't reformat just cos somebody else says so unless it is the ONLY option (like an unrecoverable virus attack or something)

ONLY If you REALLY need to format, make sure youve backed up, (I know you have already though) put in your XP CD and reboot, it will come up with the options of formatting. use FAT32 if you network with other Win98 machines or use NTFS if it is a "stand alone" computer

well if norton said to reformat because you have a trojan, it has to tell you what the trojan is... can you check the logs of norton, post up what it says.......

beefy696969 said:
well if norton said to reformat because you have a trojan, it has to tell you what the trojan is... can you check the logs of norton, post up what it says.......

Starting to wonder if he was talking to Norton or someone posing to be from norton? Norton is pretty good and removing the trojan would be easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom