Issues re-connecting to existing open WiFi network

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckman341

In Runtime
Basic issue: I can connect to a certain wifi network with no issues, until the computer goes to sleep or restarts, then I randomly have issues connecting.

I am currently deployed. At my location we have wifi with many access points scattered around the base. All are the same name. My issue is that in the last week or so I put my computer to sleep or restart it and suddenly I will be unable to connect to the very same network that was just working fine. I have wifi on my phone and it works fine at these times, also my roommate can connect with no issues. The issue can only be resolved by doing a system restore.

What I have tried:
-restarting, no help
-removing the wireless network and reconnecting, no help
-removing the wireless network and also completely uninstalling the drivers to my wifi card, no help
-powering down just the wifi device with the off switch
-deleting my homegroup and making a new one
-releasing/renewing IP, no effect
-doing an infinite combination of the above steps

My computer will "connect" to the network but will be with "limited access" that is to say no internet access.

The only way to resolve this seems to be to do a system restore to 4/16 or earlier. I have disabled windows updates so nothing gets installed after I restore. I'm not changing anything that I can think of after the restore. The only trigger seems to be my computer going to sleep, waking it up, and then bam, dead internet. Or I restart for something and then I am also screwed. My options at a deployed location are somewhat limited. I don't have my system images or windows discs with me so a complete reinstall is out (and no desirable anyways).

Any advice on what I can check next? Or maybe what to try next time it (inevitably) happens? Thanks for any advice.

Happened again, tried the advice in that link but it did not help. Left my computer sitting here for a couple hours.... I come back and wifi is randomly working again....

This was after i did all the steps i mentioned above in the first post and then gave up and left in frustration.

Do you have any earlier restore points? Do you know what you did on the 16th that made the changes to the system?

I honestly have no idea, I had tried several different restore points. Most of my restore points are made before windows updates or like Norton updates so maybe it was something related to that. The issue hasn't repeated itself so I'll just hope it doesn't pop up again for now. I have disabled windows updates until I get home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom