issues about BetBEUI protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafLeaves

Baseband Member
what purpose is the BetBEUI protocol for the internet???
I am doing the job about computer for few years.bUT I hAVENT QUITE understand about the BetBEUI protocol.What purpose about the BetBEUI protocol?what aspect is BetBEUI protocol used?
about netware networking? i confound it.confuse it.
who could tell something about BetBEUI protocol??:mad:

is this a foreign word for NetBEUI ??

NetBEUI is how Windows machines access one another (via name recognition) on the same LAN..

usually used for file or print sharing on the network or for machines that have multiple IP addresses

no,the word NetBeui is not a foreign word.it is a kind of protocol.

my friend,odessabo.you say the NetBeui is used for machines that have multiple IP address?how to explain this point??Maybe you say there are more than one network card in one machine!?
The next issues,
NetBEUI is only and often used for accessing each other on the same Lan?

Maybe not only NetBeui can do that but also TCP/IP can do ???
both of them all can do that sharing files and printing files???

yes..multiple network cards but same name on machine...

for instance...you can have a server being used as a router of sorts between two networks with IP addresses on different logical networks...or some servers have multple network cards on the same network for redundancy...but the name of the server is used for routing...not the IP per se.

technically you dont need tcp/ip addresses on a network as long as they are named via NetBeui and all running windows...this is Microsoft's own routing protocol used back in the old days of MS networking.

Right, NetBEUI is a very old protocol that was developed for computer name recognition. Sometimes it's called NetBIOS. NetBEUI is only used by Microsoft Operating systems. Netware uses IPX/SPX and the internet uses TCP/IP. NetBEUI is for a simple Local Area Network Connection. It can be used in conjunction with TCP/IP on a LAN. But, these days, even LANs are starting to base everything on TCP/IP. It's faster and more reliable.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom