Issue with Shared Printer from XP to W7

Snake91839

In Runtime
I have a client that has a home office setup that consists of 2 Windows XP Pro x32 desktops, and a Windows 7 x64 laptop. The main printer is connected to one of the XP machines via USB and shared out. I originally had an issue connecting the other PCs to the shared printer, but that's when I remembered I needed the guest account enabled on the host PC. After I did that, I was able to connect the other XP machine to the printer with no issues. The Windows 7 machine is prompting for a username and password when connecting even though it should be using the guest account. Even if I try to sign in using a valid account, it won't accept the credentials.

If anyone has any advice, please share. If you need any more information, please ask and I will answer to the best of my ability. Since this is a client, I am not onsite so I don't have constant access to the computer.

Thanks guys!

~Snake~

I have a client that has a home office setup that consists of 2 Windows XP Pro x32 desktops, and a Windows 7 x64 laptop. The main printer is connected to one of the XP machines via USB and shared out. I originally had an issue connecting the other PCs to the shared printer, but that's when I remembered I needed the guest account enabled on the host PC. After I did that, I was able to connect the other XP machine to the printer with no issues. The Windows 7 machine is prompting for a username and password when connecting even though it should be using the guest account. Even if I try to sign in using a valid account, it won't accept the credentials.

If anyone has any advice, please share. If you need any more information, please ask and I will answer to the best of my ability. Since this is a client, I am not onsite so I don't have constant access to the computer.

Thanks guys!

~Snake~

When you're attempting to login, on the prompt, for the username make sure you're doing:

<host_computer_name>\<account_name>

Otherwise it will usually try to use a local account, rather than the account on the networked computer.

That didn't matter. Even when using the remote computer's account, it didn't work. I would just continually get prompted for credentials.

That's what i do when i need to share printer:
PC1 -> Install drivers or i press "Add printer..." button in "Printers and faxes control panel"
-> Share this printer -> Enter printer name which will be shown on the network -> Print test page.
I lift my ass from PC1 chair, say some ironic joke, i laugh alone...
Put my ass on PC2 chair.
PC2 -> Windows Explorer: \\PC1 -> "Printer and faxes" -> I see there a shared printer name -> Right mouse button on it -> Connect -> Driver loads and so on i think PC2 takes driver in the same way as i done it on PC1 (Add printer). -> Test page.

If printer have network card i connect it using switch (Printer -> Switch -> PC). I install Printer Drivers, and i enter Printer Static IP address.
I do nothing with users accounts. By the way all my office AD users accounts have local administrator privileges.

That didn't matter. Even when using the remote computer's account, it didn't work. I would just continually get prompted for credentials.
yes but did you enter the username in the format specified above

eg.
If the printer is on a computer called "computer 1" and this is the xp machine
when on the windows 7 computer called "computer 2" you may need to enter the username as "computer 1\username"

you might also need to make sure they are both part of the same workgroup etc.

I have had this issue in the past with shared files/folders on xp and win 7
I made sure they were both on the same workgroup name and created an account on the windows xp machine which had file sharing privileges etc (more than a standard guest account) and used that to login to the shared folder on the xp machine

Back
Top Bottom