ISO on a USB Drive? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default ISO on a USB Drive?

Ok, i recently bought a new computer off of Ebay, and it has no OS on it and it has no CD/DVD drive. I'm trying to use nero and stuff, but i need a way that i can put an ISO (for an OS) onto my USB Thumbdive (1GB), so i can boot to the thumbdrive and install that way since there are no CD drives to boot through.

Anyone know a way to do this? I've searched the internet but i haven't found any good results reguarding this matter.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

maybe if you extract the iso to it and set it up in your bios to boot from it, ive never tried

Old 07-30-2006, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

..Do you have more than one PC at your home? So your new PC doesn't have a CD drive, but does another PC in your house have a CD drive?

If you do, then take the CD drive out of another PC and hook it up inside the new PC...then install the OS.

Also, what operating system are you hoping to install and is it a legal retail version on an installation CD? In this instance, you wouldn't be able to copy any of the data to the PC or flash drive in a feesable way due to copyright protection.

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 07-30-2006, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Alright here's what i ended up doing:

Took the hdd out of the pc that didn't have a CD drive, put it into a pc that did. put the cd in, installed it.

I was installing Linux, (SuSE 10.1 to be exact), so no infringement there, but i do appreciate you pointing it out.

I would also like to point out, that the reason i posted this topic in this section, was because i was trying to put the SuSE ISO on the USB drive from a Windows Platform.
Closed Thread