IP Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly do you mean and what are you trying to acomplish? There is an alternate configuration you can specify for a NIC however you cannot have two IP address bound to the NIC at the same time.

One of the developers that I work with is doing some testing with a server. He has about 15 IP's on the card now and it was working fine until he just added a few more . The network traffic is just starting to act a little funny. I didn't know if their was a limit to how many IP's a NIC can handle at a time.

lbduballstrs said:
One of the developers that I work with is doing some testing with a server. He has about 15 IP's on the card now and it was working fine until he just added a few more . The network traffic is just starting to act a little funny. I didn't know if their was a limit to how many IP's a NIC can handle at a time.

Umm..you can have as many IP assigned to one interface as you want but only one is used and that's the first one on the top of the lines. Check the TCP/IP advanced properties. I don't see why you need 15 IP assigned to one network interface anyways.

I'm not saying you can't, but when you're doing things like clustering or load balancing you can have multiple NIC and IP bind to a single IP for ease of management.

Also, it may be possible to have more than 2 IP on one interface and still be able to use the other IP. This may just be a limitation on XP, as I have never seen this limitation in Linux or 2003 servers.

Thanks Law. I don't really know what he is trying to do with them, some software devolpment tests or something. I was just looking for an answer to give him when he asked me what the limit was on IP addresses per NIC because I have never herd of needing so many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom