io system verification error in HIDCLASS.SYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

euchrid

Baseband Member
Out of nowhere I've started getting a BSOD on startup with the following message:

IO SYSTEM VERIFICATION ERROR in HIDCLASS.SYS
WDM DRIVER ERROR 20e HIDCLASS.SYS + e91 at F7687E91

I'm using Windows XP, with a Biostar I91PL-A7 motherboard and an Intel Pentium 4 CPU.

I've partitioned the drive and installed a second copy of Windows, which is what I'm using now. I've tried running the repair utility on my Windows XP disk, updating HIDCLASS.SYS, and I've used the Recovery Console to disable all the USB devices, since that's what HID refers to (I think). Nothing has made any difference

Can anyone help? I'd be happy to reformat, except that I have irreplacable files (including my still-in-progress thesis!) in My Documents, and this copy of Windows won't access files in the other Windows's My Documents - if someone could tell me how to do that, I'd be equally satisfied.

Partition Magic 8 can access the other primary Windows partition for you, but it isn't free though. I think there's a trial version. http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/Partition-Magic.shtml

You can use ERD commander, but M$ just bought them, and there's no more evaluation out.

(free solution) You can use Knoppix, but it requires some skill getting NTFS write support. Another way is to format the 2nd XP partition as FAT32, boot into Knoppix live CD, edit the fstab file, mount the 1st XP partition, locate your files, copy it into the FAT32 partition. Then format the 1st XP partition as FAT32 also and reinstall Windows. Boot back into Knoppix live CD, copy the file from the 2nd FAT32 partition back to the 1st partition. Once you are done boot back into XP, and open up command prompt and type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs to make it NTFS again.

drive_letter being c: usually

convert c: /fs: ntfs

(free solution) Try using Gparted, I don't know if it has the feature to transfer file between two primary NTFS partitions like PM8 though. http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

There's probably an easier way, but just can't think of it right now.

I got ahold of Partition Magic and got my files out. Thanks a lot for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom