Invalid Windows copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagleboy

In Runtime
Hey all - I have a friend whose family had a computer built for them. Apparently, the person who built it for them used an illegal version of windows, and now whenever the machine is started up it displays "You may be the victims of counterfeiting, your copy of Windows is not genuine".

Then, they are given two options: To purchase a new copy of Windows, or to resolve the issue later.

Now, I have an extra 100% valid key from a computer I don't use anymore (well, I use itocassionally, but I can do without it). It's the same version (XP Professional), and as I said - it was purchased 100% legally, and I will not use the computer it is installed on until I buy a new OS for it.

Is there any way to enter in a new seriel number for the illegal version of Windows, or is my friend's family stuck purchasing a brand new version (they don't want to reformat).

Your friend will have to buy a new copy of Windows XP.

Luckily, i stumbled upon a few cheap copies on Ebay, you might be able to get them for cheap, the only problem is that its SP1.

Unfortunately, i cant link the page, it wont respond. Just go to Ebay.com, and search for Windows XP.

But, then they'd have to reformat...

So, I guess they're stuck buying a valid copy from Microsoft? I thought there was some way to go through microsoft and reset your seriel number as a new one if your copy was invalid...

If they have to reformat, then they should just use my copy since it would be for free...

there is some way that you can purchase a new key from microsoft.

if they bought a copy of professional SP2, they would be able to upgrade.

I think you can do a repair installation which will keep everything intact and use your new key.

wasisnt said:
I think you can do a repair installation which will keep everything intact and use your new key.

Hmm... so I could just bring over my XP Pro CD, do the repair installation, and be done with it all... sounds like a pretty good plan if it works!

I went to go call Microsoft about the issue to inquire if this was possible, and they wanted me to pay $35 for an email. THIS IS WHY PEOPLE PIRATE WINDOWS - $150 for an OS, then you pay more money just to email a question, hoping to get a good answer.

Eagleboy said:
THIS IS WHY PEOPLE PIRATE WINDOWS - $150 for an OS, then you pay more money just to email a question, hoping to get a good answer.

Watch out. Don't talk about that stuff on this forum.

You wouldn't go to a retail store and grab XP Home off the shelf without paying would you? Well this is the same thing.

talldude123 said:
Watch out. Don't talk about that stuff on this forum.

You wouldn't go to a retail store and grab XP Home off the shelf without paying would you? Well this is the same thing.
no no, don't worry - I don't pirate, but I'm just saying that I'm not suprised why people do it.

I mean, I have an extra purchased copy lying around... I'm no software pirater. Used to be, but that's way behind me.

thats good.

I luckily have a copy of Pro SP1, and a copy of Home SP2 that came with my new PC.

Cant have too many copies of XP

Eagleboy said:
Hmm... so I could just bring over my XP Pro CD, do the repair installation, and be done with it all... sounds like a pretty good plan if it works!

I went to go call Microsoft about the issue to inquire if this was possible, and they wanted me to pay $35 for an email. THIS IS WHY PEOPLE PIRATE WINDOWS - $150 for an OS, then you pay more money just to email a question, hoping to get a good answer.

I would make sure you back up stuff just in case something goes wrong because you never know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom