invalid boot.ini file

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmgoode

Solid State Member
I'm having issues with my desktop computer. When it first starts up I get this message

invalid boot.ini file
Booting from C:\WINDOWS

I tried the recovery from the XP disc. I got to the C:\ and typed fixboot and fixmbr. Neither seems to have worked.

Any other thoughts without reinstalling windows?

Yeah I put in the XP disc and choose repair instead of install. It asked me what version of windows I wanted I chose the C:\ drive and the asked for admin password. I put that in then it took me to the"C:\Windows". This where i did the fixboot and fixmbr. It's the only place I could find any type of windows repair.

OK so I followed the link and got the invalid boot.ini to go away. Now I get
NTLDR is compressed
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Any thoughts?

When you first got this message, was you able to boot into windows, like to the desktop?

Nope...was getting the invalid boot.ini file first. It would show that then it would get to welcome and restart. I tried the steps in this link How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install, it fixed the boot.ini file but now get the other message right after POST.

To boot to the recovery console follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer. Click(or press any key) to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. When prompted type "1" or if you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. Now you should be at the comman prompt and ready to repair the ntldr file!

Now all you need to do is enter the following commands (in order) and each command on a new line just like you see them here:

Code:
cd \
attrib -c ntldr
exit

GREAT...one step closer. That's fixed. Now if I choose "use the last known configuration" windows starts up fine. If i try to let it start on it's own it keeps doing the rebooting thing at the welcome screen. I need to create a restore point or ??

Great i created a restore point after logging in with good last known configuration and then loaded said restore point and it works just fine now.

Thank you guys for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom