Introducing Windows 8 Consumer Preview

I just tried this on my laptop. Of course the wireless card zonks out. :lol: Happens in 7 as well as Ubuntu.

I really don't like the tablet feel of it. I have a tablet, and Android makes more sense to me.

Try teaching this to my mom... I just now got her on 7...

Might port to Linux soon.

Well i got to try it for a bit before football training.
While im not completely against it, atm I dont like where they have gone with it. Maybe once i get to play with it more and get used to it, it may grow on me, I think it probably will. The two things i am glad about is that you can go to the familiar windows 'desktop' mode we are all so used to :) and you can pin your favourite programs to start and arrange them like my windows phone.

I overslept this morning (barely had time to get ready for work) so I didn't get to fool with it.

Downloading it now, I'm going to run it in a virtual machine though. I really hope it's better than the developer preview.

So it doesn't work with Virtual PC 2007. Works with other virtual machines, but won't work with their own product... that's frustrating.

Using it now, only takes 9gb of space. Touchscreen is great, keyboard layout on the touch screen is great as well. Fast, boot time is really fast as well.

One thing for TF though is that you can't use the on screen keyboard. I'm sure that is a configuration on TF side, it's like it automatically tries to do something then closes the on screen keyboard. I click on a text window, you get the on screen keyboard but redirects my cursor and closes. Something to plan for on TF side :)

I'm downloading it now. I tried the dev release and didn't really get to mess with it that much. It was spaced weirdly on my computer and so I couldn't really try it out for more then 5 minutes before I got infuriated with it and went back to 7 haha. I wish I had time to play around with it more cause I'm interested in the capabilities of it. I hope that it maintains what the windows name implies (gaming/customization/compatibility with programs) rather then trying to jump on the lion bandwagon and focus on mobile users. I'd love to see more companies develop more mobile friendly OS's but keep a more versatile desktop OS for the people who want to utilize the capabilities of their desktops.

As far as I know, the Consumer Preview gives no option to disable the Metro UI. If Microsoft forces us to use Metro in the final version, that will be a critical mistake. Metro is a good idea for tablets and touch screens but is awkward and stupid with a keyboard and mouse. Windows 8 needed to be the upgrade that finally convinced XP users to move forward, but what we are getting is something that is going to cripple the OS for that very market. Unless Microsoft makes Metro optional and offers a compelling case for business users and power users to move off XP, things could get very interesting in 2014 when XP support ends. I have historically not been a huge promoter of Linux but this might be the time when it can gain some marketshare for those who run traditional, keyboard and mouse PCs and want a fully functional operating system.

Back
Top Bottom