Internet going weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
this is the computer i am having probs with, Our internet is letting us go to some sites but not others, i can get to here and a whole lot of other places but most of my Internet enabled programs cannot connect to the internet. Hotmail IM doesn't work, Download Accelerator Plus doesn't work, i can't use setup programs that download files from the internet and i can't connect to any servers for online games.

do you think it is anything to do with the registry?

My guess would be a firewall as well.

P.S. Anubis - I totally agree with the golf quote! LOL!!
Golf's a hard game to figure. One day you'll go out and slice it and
shank it, hit into all the traps and miss every green. The next day you go out and for no reason at all you really stink.

Router ? .... just to throw in my two cents.

I had to open up the appropriate ports on mine to let some programs be active online.

ive turned off both my firewalls (Norton and XP) and it still didn't work, and i don't use a router, just directly between the ethernet card and modem

I don't have Xp myself but it is my understanding that Xp has a built-in firewall, have you disabled that as well??? Was also wondering if this has been an ongoing problem or if it has been recent... can you remember installing any new software before this started to happen???

** edited to add **

Are you logged into an administrator account when it doesn't work or a different account? My Mother had a heck of a time getting the other accounts on her comp to connect to the net, only the main account would do so...

I'm willing to bet he has is Windows Personal Firewall enabled. As it is by default.

no i disabled BOTH my firewalls (Norton and XP's built in) and it still doesn't work - i never had this problem before with Optus so I don't know what it is.

if you have norton internet security, let me know!!
waht happens whit norton internet security is that sometimes if you block any windows conponent or programs acces, it still get blocked even whit the firewall disabled. if you have norton internet security, go to firewall, configure, program control.
check if you have blocked any windows component or internet explorer, set it to automatic. chek your programs. if it not solve the problem, you will nedd to unistall norton and install it again, if not then you have to make afresh windows installation, cause sometimes norton keeps it configuration in windows even if you unistall it, causing you trouble to conect to the internet. many programs that come whit adwares, like kazaa, will mess up your internet conection if you block the adware. check the sysmantec(norton internet security website) or your firewall site for troubleshooting information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom