Internet Fax Machines - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Internet Fax Machines

Ok what I want to do is run my fax machine to my computer and send what I scanned with my fax machine through email to someone elses fax machine. I am trying to get rid of the phone line at my house to live off a cell phone. How can I do this the cheapest way. I am also willing to use a scanner instead of a fax machine but I need to be able to send and receive faxes through my computer and make the faxes I send come out of other peoples fax machines. If I posted this in the wrong place please move it.
Thanks

Old 05-30-2005, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

There are online companies who will do this for you...for a cost, of course. You can sometimes receive faxes for free via email, but I think you normally need to pay 10c/page or something to send a scanned image.

Old 05-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

what about www.ourfax.com ?
Old 05-30-2005, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I've never actually heard of this service. Two things though:

I'd be really suspicious of this 'free' service. They say it is 'ad-supported', which sets off alarms for me. I hope that doesn't mean that they send tonnes of fax-spam to the recipients of your faxes (or still spam them when they send you a virtual fax from their machine).

Second, they say they off phone numbers in 65 countries. It may be important for you to have a virtual number in your local area code, if you do a lot of local business. For instance, if you live in Rochester, NY, but they only have numbers for NYC, if anyone in your hometown (Rochester, in this case) send you a fax, they will have to send it long distance.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Winfax Pro supports email integration allowing you to send faxes as email attachments.
Closed Thread