Internet Explorer not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosey_krh

Solid State Member
I am using Firefox to get to this page, so yes I know it is a great alternative. But in order to scan my computer with trendmicro's free housecall scan and Panda's scan I have to be running IE. Also need to be running IE in order to have Microsoft check my pc for updates.

I am running XP pro for about 2 years now. IE version 6 with all the patches. When I use Firefox the internet comes up instantly. When I open IE, I get nothing. I have to shut it down and it say's it is not responding so I choose to end task.

I have turned everything off in msconfig. I have unistalled and reinstalled IE v.6. I have ran adaware, spyware blaster and spybot S&D. I have gone into add/remove programs and checked the option to repair internet explorer. I have cleared history, deleted temp. files, cleared cookies, reset home page, lowered security, turned off firewall, made sure autodetect proxy was not checked. Everything I could think off. Nothing has worked. Any ideas?

You know, speaking of AVG, I downloaded that a couple of weeks ago and used it once and my computer just started doing the weirdest things. I can't remember exact examples now, but it acted so out of character that I finally uninstalled AVG and it went back to normal. IE worked after that for a few days so I am not blaming AVG for current problem. I just remember that I did not like it at all.

Also, on my initial post I forgot to mention that I have gone into safe mode and ran all they spyware removals mentioned above and still doesn't work.

Thanks

Bad answer. :up: :rolleyes: :up:

You've done all the right things it seems so far. I did some quick googling and found this, it may help.

As always, back up your registry first!

1) Start - Run - Regedit

2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\explorer\Browser Helper Objects

3) Delete all the folders found under "browser helper objects".

thanks tribalsun, I will try that when I get home later tonight.
Anything's worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom