Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RastaMan

Solid State Member
hello guys i have a problem with internet explorer... as soon as i clik on the shortcut it crashes... it doesnt even open up...

What are you getting the iexplorer.exe error screen or no error messages just not launching? Have you scanned for spyware/malware recently?

Ok..this is a little spyware thing I wrote a while back..but since you scanned already that should'nt be it..I have one more fix to do a "true" re-install of IE6..XP Makes it very difficult to do :) Do this for now and let me know if this helps...mainly the top part with all the temp files..this will keep you ammused while I remember the registry keys to hack :)

If the OS is XP this is what I usually start with for effectively removing all spyware and viri.

Boot into safe mode (after BIOS runs POST hit F8 rapidly to get to the boot menu options screen which you will see safe mode) Logon as administrator.

Go to START>RUN>MSCONFIG>STARTUP then disable ALL items under there except virus scan.

Go to START>CONTROL PANEL>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW and select show hidden files and folders. Then go to c:\documents and settings and go into each user folder and delete ALL of the following files c:\documents and settings\%user%\local settings\temp and C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files and finally c:\documents and settings\%user%\cookies.

Delete all files under C:\WINDOWS\Temp and C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch. Empty the recycle bin and reboot the PC.

Download Spybot S&D 1.4, Adaware SE 1.6, and java cool Spyware blaster all of which can be downloaded at www.download.com. I also usually download and run the Microsoft Windows Defender tool that can be downloaded from www.microsoft.com . I don¡¦t leave the Microsoft Windows Defender tool installed because it is still in beta and has expiration dates that usually confuse many users when it expires, but it is a good tool to detect and remove spyware just be sure to un-install it once you¡¦re done using it. Ohh also before you run the scan with AdAware be sure you download there latest VX2 plugin found here:http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/addons/vx2cleaner.shtml

Run all updates for all software then run the scans with adaware, spybot, and MS Windows Defender (spyware blaster is not a scanner but helps prevent spyware by blocking active x controls from bad websites).
Fix all spyware then update your virus scan and run a full system scan for viri. After all this I usually re-isntall IE6 to rid any mess left over.

Also on a side note I noticed with my encounters of repairing spyware issues that each windows profile houses it own set of spyware. Meaning if you run a full system scan with say spybot, adaware, and MS Windows Defender under one user profile and logon to another profile and run the same scans you will find more spyware (this becomes a HUGE pain when many profiles are on the system).

For the most part a majority of the spyware is fixed running it under one profile, but to remove ALL you must do it under each user profile. When I work on home PC¡¦s I just usually delete all the profiles and create new ones and backup there important settings such as My Documents, Favorites, and Desktop. This will save time of logging into each profile running a scan, removing spyware, running a scan again to make sure it was all removed.

Lastly if there is something stubborn or you have some BHO¡¦s you can not get rid of download HiJackThis 1.99.1 which can be found here with some other useful tools http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html . HiJackThis if a very POWERFUL tool. When you run a scan DO NOT check all items and FIX because usually they are legit applications such as virus scan, anti-spyware, Microsoft, and Adobe products. You can browse through the list though and select items you know are BAD and remove any BHO¡¦s you do not need. This is why I leave this tool last as it can really damage a system if not used correctly ƒº

Also in my search here for ya...do you have XP wSP2? Or XP wSP1? I would hope you have at least one of those :)

uninstall IE thru add/remove, add/remove windows components and then reinstall install it. Just take the check mark off it and it will uninstall and then go back in and put a check mark in the box and let it install and then turn off windows error reporting service in the system icon via the control panel. If you still have issues, run thru this below:

Follow these instructions carefully

Download ALL 10 programs and update if needed.

Ad Aware SE Personal Free

Ad-aware Messenger Service Plugin

Ad-Aware VX2 Cleaner Plugin

Spybot Search and Destroy Free

Windows Defender 2 Beta

HijackThis

Ewido

CCleaner

Cleanup!

Follow these steps

Delete the prefetch folder C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch, this folder will come back on next reboot.

Go to Add/Remove programs and remove any offending programs such was weatherbug, search assistants, etc.

Delete all cookies and temporary internet files in the control panel, Internet Options.

Go to Start, run, type msconfig, go to startup, disable everything except your antivirus, Firewall, click apply, don¡¦t reboot yet.

Download Msconfig Cleanup below

Msconfig Cleanup

Run Msconfig Cleanup after you unchecked the items you were told to uncheck and recheck, click "Select All", then click "Clean up Selected", then click "Quit". Make sure your antivirus and firewall are not checked. If you delete your antivirus and firewall entries, you will need to reinstall them so be sure to check them.

Now run each Spy ware program 1 by 1. Running all 3 at the same time will slow most systems down.

When each program has finished scanning, remove everything.

Now go to the recycle bin and delete everything that is in it.

Then run CCleaner „² make sure you run the Cleaner section of Windows and Applications and then the Registry Cleaner. Make a backup if you wish while running the Registry cleaner when it asks you.

When finished with the scans, reboot, and go into Safe Mode and run these scans again, remove everything they find, and then reboot back into Windows in normal mode.

Then run HiJackthis!

Save the log, copy and paste the log on www.techist.com
Do not attach the log, copy and paste always. This will make things go much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom