Internet disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazan

Solid State Member
I have Windows XP with all the latest updates. My problem is that intermittently my computer disconnects itself from the internet for no apparent reason. I'm on DSL and my network stays connected and I still have my LAN icon in the task bar but the only way I can get back on the internet is to reboot my computer. This is an intermittent problem and happens no matter what software I'm using (i.e. IE7, outlook express, downloading something, etc.) and will even do it when the computer is sitting Idle. I may go 2 to 3 days without any sign of the problem then suddenly it will do this a couple a times a day. I don't have any idea where to even start looking to solve this problem so any suggestions would be appreciated.

This owuld be due to the DSL. You most likely lost signal from them and that is why you lost signal on the PC. I have seen this on many DSL PC's lately. Just seen it last night at the father in laws. Had to reset the Modem for it to work correctly.

More than likely (and hopefully) what these two gents have said is correct. The only other possibility really is that your network adapter is starting to go bad. But the DSL being the root of the problem is FAR more likely so don't go rushing out there to buy a new network card. :D

I would more likely believe it is the LAN card. I have two other computers on the same DSL network and it never happens to either of those computers. I may just swap out the LAN card between two computers and see if the problem moves with the card. Thanks for the responses.

I would more likely believe it is the LAN card. I have two other computers on the same DSL network and it never happens to either of those computers. I may just swap out the LAN card between two computers and see if the problem moves with the card. Thanks for the responses.
That is your best option. Try out the hardware on other PC's. As stated i have only experienced this thru others and it was always the DSL. It may be yoru card.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom