Internet cant be accessed

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i flash it to enable the pro function. thats what the article I follow said.

because my previous configuration was my computer as a GNE, connect to hub, then my PC connect to the modem. So my PC had 2 NIC. then another computer connect to the hub in order to get the access to the internet.

After I flash my firmware, I am now connecting to the hub, my modem connecting to the hub and another PC connecting to the hub.

The client didnt rely on my computer anymore in order to get access to the internet

I will leave it like that. but I just wondering why NAT disable give me internet access and NAT enable didnt allow me to go to internet. Please advise Thanks

The short answer is to make sure the wireless access point is not also attempting to provide NAT. How you do that will vary based on the access point, so check your documentation for NAT or for providing DHCP services to wireless clients, and turn that off.

NAT is a technique that lets multiple machines on one side of your router share a single internet connection, and most importantly a single internet IP address. The router does this by handing out local IP addresses to each machine on your local network, and translating between those addresses and the "real" internet IP address when the local computers access the internet.

Many wireless access points can be also configured to act very much like a broadband router. In fact there are several combo devices that are both a broadband router and wireless access point in one package. In either case, they may also be able to provide NAT functionality between the wireless and wired networks.

If NAT is turned on at both the broadband router and the wireless access point, all wireless devices are going through two levels of NAT to access the internet. Not only is that adding unnecessary overhead, but it also introduces some real problems. NAT "protects" the "local" devices from the remote devices ... in this case, the wireless access point will "protect" the wireless machines from the rest of your local network. In effect, it'll make them inaccessible.

So as I said earlier, the solution is fairly simple. You only need one level of NAT, between the internet and the rest of your LAN. Anything on your local network is safe, and does not need additional NAT. Make sure that NAT or DHCP is turned OFF on the wireless access point. (To be clear, the wireless access point may still use DHCP to get an address for itself, but it should not provide DHCP functionality to wireless devices.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom