Internet Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

oileruis

Baseband Member
ive heard something about "free " international/long distance calls via internet....how about the quality and restricitions

that is true...
WHICH software allow me to make call via internet.....

I have exactly what you are describing. My phone service is Vonage, www.vonage.com , they offer a really good deal. I was paying $60+ for the phone bill before and we didn't get any long distance minutes. With the new plan I pay Vonage $27 per month with tax and get unlimited calls to US and Canada.
All you need is to subscribe to the service, and they can port your existing phone number by the way, a high-speed internet connection (I recommend at least 512kb/s for best quality) and a phone adapter. I got a linksys PAP2 phone adapter for $50 so that was the only setup fee I paid. Although if you want they will just send you the equipment after you subscribe so you don't have to pay any equipment fees. If you want to go that route a recommend that you ask me to refer you to the service. That way you get a free month and I get 2 free months.

But anyway I think the quality is just as good as a regular phone line and it's uber-cheap so it's a really good deal I think. And I have not had any service interruptions yet to date.

doesnt it sound different? does it time out, leave skips, or delay? it seems to me like it wouldn't work quite right, but i guess since the sound quality is very very low it would be ok.

also- does it take up a lot of bandwidth?

This may not be exactly what you need, but skype is a good voip or chat program. You have the ability to call a land line or just other people on their computers. Its free, unless using skpye out (calling a land line), and its still cheap.

ebayfreak said:
doesnt it sound different? does it time out, leave skips, or delay? it seems to me like it wouldn't work quite right, but i guess since the sound quality is very very low it would be ok.

also- does it take up a lot of bandwidth?
It sounds a little different, in my case it sounds better than a regular phone line, for some people it is better (depending on your setup), for most it is about the same, and for some if you have bad networking equipment or a weird ISP then it will sound worse.

It doesn't skip, delay, or any of that crap for me.

No, the sound quality is not very very low, it is excellent for me.

It takes up 90 kilabits per second each way at the highest quality setting. There is also a medium call quality setting at 60kb/s, and a low quality setting at 30 each way.

All you need to have a got VoIP phone is the right equipment. If you have crappy equipment then you won't have very good quality. I have a good ISP where the connection never fails and I get good solid bandwidth. I also have good networking equipment. I have a Linksys Cable Modem, a Linksys WRT54G Wireless G Router, and a Linksys PAP2 Phone Adapter. I personally have never had any problems with any of my Linksys products. Most of the complaints about VoIP are coming from people with bad equipment. I also have a really nice Uniden 5ghz cordless phone from which I get no echoes of any sort.

Anyway, hope I cleared up some things about that. It's really becoming a lot more mainstream these days and almost nearly as reliable as a POTS line (Plain Old Telephone Service).

dale5605 said:
It takes up 90 kilabits per second each way at the highest quality setting. There is also a medium call quality setting at 60kb/s, and a low quality setting at 30 each way.

cool- thats a lot better quality than i would've thought!

I use Vonage also, pay 14.99 month, no skips, no drops, nothing, clear as a regular phone service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom