Intermittent high CPU usage by SYSTEM process

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainegeek

Beta member
Hi All--

I've got an unusual high CPU issue issue I can't seem to pinpoint. I'm hoping someone has some additional ideas. This problem happens every couple days. The only way to resolve is to reboot (not that big a deal but still annoying). When it occurs the SYSTEM process uses an entire core (25% of CPU). I've tried stopping all software and services that I can but the problem still occurs.

I've scanned my computer for viruses, spyware, etc. I use Microsoft Security Essentials, Spybot, and HijackThis!. I even downloading and scanned my computer with Sophos Anti-Rootkit. All of them turn up nothing!

My PC is a MSI laptop running Windows 7 Home Edition 64 Bit.

Windows Update is current. My drivers are current but it doesn't appear to be a driver issue (IMO).

Any thoughts? Any steps I could take to dig further? Anything?

high-cpu-1.png

high-cpu-2.png

high-cpu-3.png

high-cpu-4.png

Summary
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 @ 2.30GHz 45 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-16G5 (SOCKET 0) 28 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
(Illegal Vendor ID)
Hard Drives
94GB KINGSTON SVP100S296G (SATA) 36 °C
Optical Drives
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
Slimtype DVD A DS8A5S
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

That is the NT Kernel that is causing the spike. That is a essential part of Windows. It is what drives Windows. While yes yours is high, it is also something that is mandatory to run the system. So either you got a nasty rootkit installed that isnt being detected or your system is corrupted by something else.

Have you run the scans in Safe Mode?

Thank you for your quick reply.

I know what it is... I'm trying to pinpoint why it's doing it.

This is so intermittent that I can't catch it in safe mode. Once I reboot it's gone.

I wouldn't think I picked up anything nasty but who knows. I'm a fairly competent PC user. I work in the tech industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom