Installing XP without a CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

phandentium

In Runtime
I currently am in a dilemma. I have this computer of mine running on Windows 2000 Professional. I want to upgrade it to Windows XP, however my CD drive recently broke and I have no means of getting it on there. I have a USB Pen Drive, though this computer cannot boot off of a USB drive. I have no other disk drive on this computer other than my hard drive.

I currently have another computer on the side running Linux/Windows for any task needed in doing this.

I copied my Windows XP install disk to an ISO and brought it over to my computer using the USB Pen Drive. Though after attempting to install it via daemon tools, it requires me to restart to another boot option asking me to insert an XP Install disk. I can still access Windows 2000 though.

Any help would be appreciated.

the OP has a busted CDROM drive. burning a cd will not help the situation.

instead run winnt32 from cd files (i386)

Winnt32

Winnt32

Performs an installation of or upgrade to Windows XP. You can run winnt32 at the command prompt on a computer running Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP.

he can just hit setup with the iso file which is simpler. if it was a i386 folder he would have to hit winnt32.exe. but he can only upgrade.

put the hdd in the other computer. make 2 partitions. the first is ntfs and the second is fat32. install windows ME on the second one. copy the xp content onto the windows me partition. put it back in the other computer. it will load the other driver and you may have to restart it or you can hit cancel before it loads the drivers.

then hit setup.exe. pick new install. hit advance and select I want to select my partitions and follow the rest of the instruction from there.

he can just hit setup with the iso file which is simpler. if it was a i386 folder he would have to hit winnt32.exe. but he can only upgrade.

put the hdd in the other computer. make 2 partitions. the first is ntfs and the second is fat32. install windows ME on the second one. copy the xp content onto the windows me partition. put it back in the other computer. it will load the other driver and you may have to restart it or you can hit cancel before it loads the drivers.

then hit setup.exe. pick new install. hit advance and select I want to select my partitions and follow the rest of the instruction from there.

I cant necessary put the other HDD into the other computer due to the fact that the computer I'm attempting to install on is a Laptop, while the other is a Desktop. I should have included that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom