installing xp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Fully Optimized
I don't know if this has been posted before but is it possible to install xp using an xp cd that came with another computer?

yes, but you need your own puchased key. Otherwise it's not legal...

Also, if the disc that you are using is anything other than an OEM/retail disk, it's possibly a built image, so i wouldn't use that...

Good luck

usually not, mfr do checks on the pc to see if that is the correct brand...ie your installing xp from compaq on a dell box, that's most likely gonna crash...plus the drivers that are included could wreek havoc on your machine.
I wouldn't do it.

mikee said:
is that built onto the cd?
Depends, but usually yes. This is how DELL and other PC manufacturers usually do things, for the obvious reasons.

Anyway, if you've got the authentication card and EULA page, you should be able to read what the license allows you to do and what it doesn't allow you to do. (That's why they give it. :) )

Anyway, given the nature of most name-brand PC's, if the CD came OEM with the box, chances are it's not transferable.

mikee said:
I'm not sure if my cd has that
Technically, if you've just got the CD and nothing else...you don't legally have the software (which also means it probably won't authenticate after installation...if it installs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom