Installing XP Pro via cd-rom...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubicks13

Baseband Member
Hello all, little problem I am running into or have ran into. :) I aquired a labtop from a bud and for some reason it did not come with a floppy drive. I want to format it and install XP Pro via a cd-rom and can't access the bios to change the boot sequence. The bios is password protected. :( And he does not even know what the pass is for it. I usually just do the floppy boot disks, but like i said there is not floppy. When I f12 the machine upon start up it ask me where I want to boot from and I highlight "cd-rom" and then it just loads wink2. Any suggestions, how can I get into the bios or make it boot from the cd-rom. This is an ibm thinkpad. thanks

CUBE

Re:

Hey,

You should be able to run the installation in Windows 2000, by accessing the CD in Windows. It should then do the rest itself.

BIOS passwords really suck bad! Now depending where he set the password will determine how lucky you will be or not. Since you can boot to the CD-ROM drive it sounds like it just has a BIOS access password and not a supervisor password. You would not be allowed to do ANYTHING had he set the supervisor password and forgot and usually resetting the CMOS would not cure the supervisor.

However if you can boot to the CD-ROM drive and start the Windows installation you shouldnt have any problems installing it? Perhaps I'm confused, but you where able to start the Windows install via booting to the Windows CD right? If so you are in good shape cause you can just reformat and install and it will boot to the hard disk once instsalled.

In the case where you absolutley NEED to access the BIOS I would look up your laptop model on the manufacturer website, find out where the CMOS battery is (usually by the RAM bay or battery bay) and pull out for about 20 minutes and that should clear the BIOS password.

when i go to run the install in xp windows says I must belogged on as admin. any suggestions, wish it had a floppy would make things ALOT easier!
thanks

CUBE

Win2kpatcher, When I boot up, I hit F12, choose setup. I then cursor down to cd-rom and click enter, it then just goes right to wk2 boot screen does not boot the cd-rom, also when I log onto wk2 i get "in" with the user and pass he was given then I can't run the install cuz windows says I need to log on as admin! thanks for any other help

CUBE

ohh I gocha..have you tried basic account passwords for the admin account? The user name will ALWAYS be administrator..I assume you already tried leaving it blank, password, administrator, password1, password2, etc etc...can you boot to the windows CD to reformat the succer? When you hit the F12 to select the boot options does it have the CD as one of them?

when I hit f12 it does have a cd-rom however when I click it it just goes to the w2k boot screen...almost like it bypasses my command to boot from the cd-rom.

CUBE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom