Installing XP Pro over Win 2000 nt

Status
Not open for further replies.

bella

Beta member
Okay, I know very little about computers, so be patient!
I have Windows 2000 NT. I am trying to install Win XP Pro. I am getting an error: Setup cannot load the keyboard layout file kbdus.dll. Setup cannot continue. Shut down or restart your computer. So for the last 3 hours I have been trying to get into $Win_nt$ to give access, but can't seem to figure that out. Please help! Because after medling around in my computer, it now won't even go to the blue screen, just goes completely black if I try to continue the XP installation.
Thanks

i agree. if you want to install another Windows, you should format and start over. if you just install and have 2 windows, then that would mean you have 2 windows runn at the same time which also means your computer will be very very slow. not a good idea.
dont forget to back up your files!
:D best wishes...!

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by format? I have already taken what I want from this computer and put on my laptop, so I really don't have to worry about losing everything. I actually want to lose it. Is there a way to take Windows 2000 off and start from scratch?

I started over, and now I'm getting the error message again. I can't figure out how to change $Win_nt$

They mean do a "format and install"...or boot into Dos, and type something like format c: [enter] y [enter] :p

I installed XP over 2k, and lived with it for two years. Wasn't "slow" at all, though, it's always better to do the fresh format install:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom