Installing XP Pro over Vista - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilescomp

Beta member
I am trying to install a new copy of Windows XP Pro onto my Gateway ML6227B Notebook - Vista's gotta go... I get as far as the 'To install a new copy of XP Pro - Press 'enter'' page ... then I get a message saying: 'Setup did not find any hard disc drives installed in your computer.' Also on computer bootup, when pressing 'F2' there is no BIOS setup pages displayed. - just a blank screen. Can someone please help? Thanks.

Sounds like Sata drivers are needed, and to be honest if it's a new machine they might not have XP SATA drivers for it.

Edit: moving this thread to the right area.

Yup, you have SATA hard drives. XP doesn't come with SATA drivers like Vista or Windows 7. What you will have to do is get the specific SATA drivers for your motherboard, once you have those you'll have to save them to a floppy (that's right). Once that is done you'll have to go through the installation process and at that first screen that says press F3 to install 3rd party drivers you need to press F3. Follow the prompts to install the SATA drivers.

Just a minor edit to what Lex said. It should read F6 to install 3rd Party drivers not F3. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom