Installing XP on HDD w/ 98SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrobot

In Runtime
Hey all,

I finally ordered my parts and they are on their way! I'm going to be using my Western Digital HDD (40GB) that I'm currently using in my older PC with 98SE (which is dual-booting with SimplyMEPIS 3.3 Linux) on it. How do I erase the entire drive, so I can do a clean install of XP on a blank HDD. I would like to be able to reformat as well.

Thanks!

1. reboot your computer

2. Tell the PC to boot from CD

3. Tell windows xp that you want a CLEAN install
(that will format your hard drive, and get you ready for xp!

*******FDISK Tutorial*******

FDISK Tutorial

The Basics of Fdisk:
Primary partitions are the only one that are bootable. They're always the C: drive when active. Normally you can only have one (more with some special tricks etc.) Extended partitions are needed when you want more than one partition. You can only have ONE Extended partition. Logical Drives come into the Extended partition. They are handy since you know that you can only have one Primary and one Extended so you can get more than only two partitions. They would be your D:, E:, etc. drives.

First you need to reboot your system with the Boot Disk inserted.

1.At the A: prompt start "FDISK."

2.If asked to use Large Disc support say Yes.

3.The first screen looks like this:

Create Dos Partition or Logical Drive
Set Active Partition
Delete Partitions or Logical DOS Drives
Display Partition Information
Change current fixed drive. (In case you have two or more Hard Drivess)
So, to prepare you hopefully did a backup from your data. You did, didn't you ?!

4.Next we need to remove the existing partitions. So go to 3.

5.Next screen like this:

Delete Primary DOS
Delete Extended DOS
Delete Logical Drives
Delete Non-DOS
Delete always in the following order

Logical (All) > Extended > Primary (Last)

6.Go back to first screen after all partitions have been removed.

7.Now we need to setup our new partitions. Go to 1.

This screen looks like this:

Create Primary DOS
Create Extended DOS
Create Logical DOS Drives
Here we create in the following order

Primary > Extended > Logical Drives.

8.First create the Primary. If asked to use all space say No and enter the amount you wish for the C: drive. It should be set automatically to be the (only) Active partition. If not it may ask you or you have to select "2. Set active partition" from the main menu.

9.Next create the Extended Partition. Use all space left.

It probably advances automatically to the next step, creating the Logical DOS Drives.

10.Enter the amount you wish for the D: partition and than the rest for the third partition.

Think first about the size for the partitions.

OK now we're finished with FDISK so just exit it. Next you need to reboot with the disc still inserted and Format all partitions (the C: partition might need to be formatted with "format c: /s", check the Win95 tip). Another reboot and you can go ahead and install Windows.

then insert your XP cd and install

nope...a floppy..

go to www.bootdisk.com and download windows 98 oem bootdisk, execute it, it will write to the floppy, then reboot, boot from the floppy and follow the instructions and then install xp

When I built my PC, I decided not to put a floppy drive in because of lack of room. :( So, I just booted from the XP cd and formatted that way. The problem is I formatted 10GB (out of the 40GB HDD) and XP installed on that. What do I have to do to format the rest? Because now XP doesn't recognize it. :confused:

Okay this is tricky so be careful. Insert your XP disc again. Boot from it as if you were going to install XP. Go thru the whole thing. Agree to the terms and it will say that it found another install. Say you want to still install not repair or anything. It should show you the next screen with you drive config.

This is the tricky part. You should have your 10GB with Windows. Then there should be the other 30GB that is unpartitioned space or RAW. Just click on that to install XP. I know you dont want to but just listen. It should then ask you if you want to format (quick) format or leave as is (shouldnt be there but just giving the option.

Now do the full format, not quick. Let it go thru the format. You have to watch. When it completes and is about to start loading the Windows files shut down the system. Turn the power off. I know this sounds harsh and harmful but it isnt. I have had to do this a few times since i dont have a floopy myself. Then just rebot without the CD in and when windows loads you should have your other 30GB there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom