Installing Windows XP question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to install XP, but I could not get a connection to the internet. I called roadrunner, they tried some things and gave me a number for microsoft. I don't want to pay $35 for them to help me though.

I'm guessing there a couple possibilities why I could not get a connection. I did not uninstall McAfee VirusScan for Win9x.

Or There was some incompatible Hardware Accessories.

Network adapters
WAN Miniport (ATW)

Any suggestions? Thanks.

csamuels said:
you may want to d/l a new network card driver for xp so you can get to the inet

What do I need to do to d/l a new network card driver for xp? Thanks.

you need to know the manufacturer and model of the nic. then goto the manufacturer website, search for that model's drivers, and download them. Put on cd or floppy, install driver on xp pc.

csamuels said:
you need to know the manufacturer and model of the nic.

Sorry for being ignorant, but how do I find out the manufacturer and model of the nic? Thanks.

is your network card a card plugged into the mobo? or is it soddered directly to the mobo?

if its a card then you have to open your machine, pull out the network card, and look for the maker and model written on the card. or if you still have the box it came in, it should be written on that as well.

if its on the mobo, then you have to either use msinfo32 to find out the make and model of the mobo. Or open the case and look for the maker and model of the mobo.

I would guess it is plugged into the mobo. I have not done anything to the pc since I bought it in '99.

I would be happy giving up and staying with Windows 98 but now I have a new problem. After I uninstalled Windows XP Pro, I am back to Windows 98se. I can be on the internet for around 10 minutes and then I lose connection to internet explorer, netscape, and mozilla. I have to shut down the computer and start again. Then same thing happens, I am on the internet for 10 minutes or so then I lose connection. Not sure what is going on. I am very close to just going out and buying a new computer tomorrow.

I forgot to mention. I lose internet connection(web pages won't load), but I can still use AOL instant messenger and Outlook Express.

I did a restore windows 98 - will not format hdd and I am able to use the internet correctly now. Now I'm debating if I should try to upgrade again or not.

I decided to go ahead and try upgrading again. It worked with 0 problems. Not sure what the original problem was, but restoring Win 98 and then upgrading worked. Now I just need to download some different software I had installed and I will be all set. :D

Thanks for those who offered advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom