Installing windows XP on a different hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl4cKDoT

Solid State Member
I currently have windows 7 installed on my C drive and want to install windows xp on my E drive which is currently used for storage. I tried installing it but at the bios the only option available was to format C drive and install XP there. The E drive option wasn't there.

This is what it looks like:

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/6971/partc.jpg

Thanks for any help.

The drive you added isnt partitioned. You have stuff currently on there. So you run the potential of destroying that data during this install. You understand that right?

This drive you added, was it a SATA or IDE hard drive?

I'm not sure what SATA or IDE means, when I bought the computer it had 2 drives in it. On the device manager it shows 2x SAMSUNG SP2504C drives, and with a little research found this: "Samsung SP2504C 250 GB SATA-300 Hard Disk Drive" so I guess it's SATA drives =)

Yes, I know that there is a risk of data loss if I don't partition the E drive, I forgot to mention that when I tested this I already shrinked the E drive a bit and had a N partition on it (40 gb) but still don't know how to install windows xp on that 40 GB partition.

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/7113/part2xg.jpg

XP Doesnt support SATA drives. You need to get the drivers for the drive and use the F6 to install 3rd PArty Drivers method to get XP to see the drive to install to. That is why you dont see the drive when your trying to install XP.

Sorry but I don't really understand what I have to do, "You need to get the drivers for the drive and use the F6 to install 3rd PArty Drivers method to get XP to see the drive to install to." How do I get drives for the drive? And when do I have to press F6? When I reboot my computer and windows 7 is loading I get 3 options:

1- Esc: Boot Menu

If I select this, I get 3 options:

USB: Kingston traveler (8 GB key usb with windows XP on it for installation)
RAID-0: Samsung SP2504 (C drive)
RAID-1: Samsung SP2504 (E drive)

2- F1: Setup

This gets me to Phoenix-AwardBIOS CMOS setup utility.

3- F10: System recovery

So I really have no clue where I'm supposed to press "F6" and do the step u told me about...

You need to go to your mother board manufacturer site or your PC Manufacturer's site and get the drivers. They then have to be placed on either a USB thumb Drive, a CD or slipstreamed onto the XP CD using something like nlite so that XP can see the drive when it is trying to install.

You press F6 right away. It is the very first thing that is seen in the XP install process.

Clean Install Windows XP - Press F6 to Install a Third Party Driver

Explains it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom