Installing Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amirr

Solid State Member
Hi,
II have decided to install my windows xp again and remove the previous one. This is the first time IÂ’m installing windows xp. Can someone post me a guide that will help to install windows xp. One more thing is that the Windows XP CD that I have is older than the version IÂ’m using right now. Is it ok to install the older version?

Insert cd in cd drive, boot from it, make sure your bios is set to boot from cd first, most systems will boot from cd even if the bios is not set to boot from cd drive, then just follow the steps. pretty simple. Choose ntfs.

thanks for the reply
but i want to have some of my files and i want to move them to the new windows drive. Like some pictures and other stuff. where can i move those to the new version i'm installing?

you can save them to a CD-R, which is what i usually do.. unless you have a partition/harddrive that you are saving and not reformatting, that is the only way to really do it.

TheRecluse said:
you can save them to a CD-R, which is what i usually do.. unless you have a partition/harddrive that you are saving and not reformatting, that is the only way to really do it.
I have about 84 GB files that I want to keep. I have seen people that have a folder from their previous windows. How can I do that? I mean I have folder named AF and I want to move that folder to the new version of windows IÂ’m installing.

you could move it to another harddrive, or you could use something like partition magic to repartition your drive so you could move your files to the second partition and reformat your OS partition.. or maybe DVDs could be an option?

there are also one touch backup drives.. you could check those out as an investment

Amirr said:
I have about 84 GB files that I want to keep. I have seen people that have a folder from their previous windows. How can I do that? I mean I have folder named AF and I want to move that folder to the new version of windows IÂ’m installing.

there a way to do it the way you want. I forgot the exact steps. look it up in pc world. Maybe the 5 or 6 months ago issue

EricB said:
there a way to do it the way you want. I forgot the exact steps. look it up in pc world. Maybe the 5 or 6 months ago issue
is that without creating a partition?

What do you mean the xp cd is older than the one your using right now?

You can re-install XP over the XP that's on their now and even though you'll lose all your programs, your data SHOULD still be there.

There are other ways people will say the've done it, it's always best to safely backup your data onto another storage medium before doing a fresh install. With the price of hard drives these days, do yourself a favor and buy a new one. Then you can use Windows XP file and settings transfer wizard to back up everything.

BASSMASTER said:
You can re-install XP over the XP that's on their now and even though you'll lose all your programs, your data SHOULD still be there.

Well that wouldn't make much sense if he was reinstalling to remove spyware/adware/viruses...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom