installing windows xp

Taz202

Baseband Member
I am trying to install a fresh copy of xp on an older computer. I had xp on it to start with and ended up switching to linux. I recently found a need to install xp ( in order to download some minidv footage from an older camcorder). I am having no luck activating this new copy of xp. I am not able to get online to finish activating. I used this machine for a long time both with windows and linux and was able to get online. Now nothing. I have a wireless card that I used with no problem before as I said. I have even plugged in an ethernet cable with no success. I can boot up in safe mode without networking but I have not been able to figure this out.

Did you install the drivers for the NIC/WiFi card? If not, no Interwebz for you. Most copies of XP were just the OS and the drivers were on a separate disc. Alternatively, you can call in the activation if Microsoft is still doing that. Being an unsupported OS, I'm not entirely sure they'll even do that anymore. Is there a specific reason that you have to use XP over a newer OS? You can probably still get the camera footage using a newer machine.

Can you provide more details as to why you can't get online? Are you using wifi or ethernet? When you look in Device Manager, does it indicate your network adapters are working correctly? Do you get any error messages?

We still use XP at work, but only on a handful of laptops. I can't remember when we last had to image one, but I have a feeling the image is already activated.
It may be end of life, but I would have thought they would still allow XP to activate, as some companies still need it for compatibility reasons.
No matter how much people want to take the stance that companies need to invest and develop beyond XP, the cost of doing this isn't always worth it.
Eg. We need to use XP to download data from trains, in order to upgrade the system it will mean replacing the kit on every train carriage, at a cost of £60k per carriage. Each train is 12 carriages long. I'll let you all guess how much it will cost to do the entire fleet.
It makes financial sense to keep a dozen XP laptops with serial ports, and kit that only has XP drivers. Than to upgrade the fleet, they will gradually be phased out when we replace the trains.

So for Microsoft to block a large number of companies globally from using this software would be a bad move, as it would cause companies to potentially go out of business.

I believe only the US Navy still has an active support contract for XP (at least to provide updates and such), which cost them millions of $ to have.

No matter how much people want to take the stance that companies need to invest and develop beyond XP, the cost of doing this isn't always worth it.

To be honest, your situation is unique. As long as your computers don't need to be online to get this data from the trains, fine. For most companies, however, these machines are online and thus pose a major security risk. The security risk should to outweigh the cost of an upgrade every time.

As for a company going out of business, if the company can't afford to keep their software up to date, then they're already on the way out of business IMO. It's the cost of doing business in the first place. If you can't keep up, then you're not doing well. It's only bringing the inevitable to fruition a bit faster.

Back
Top Bottom