Installing Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemicalMonkey

Solid State Member
Ive been trying to install windows xp pro onto a compaq presario 5000 for the last 2 months but it doesnt want to go. i tried a flat out cd boot, but i get an error "NTLDR file is missing" (never pressed a key when it said "Press any key to boot from cd...")

and when i do press a key it just sits there doing nothing.

I tried using the setup disks from microsoft at How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
but right b4 the installation starts i get an error, "Value 0 in the setupsomethingorother file is corrupt or missing"

I tried to install windows xp pro from inside windows 2000 pro, but the stuff freezes the second i click install windows xp from the autorun menu's.

i tried installing it from inside dos (using a boot disk), but any file i try to access of the CD from it says its not accessable threw dos. (just typing setup.exe and enter)

any other options or fixs anyone can think of?

also, the CD is a copy of the original since my dad keeps it safe so i dont loose it or damage it like usual...and he doesnt remember were he put it lol.

but its a legit copied of it.

oh...and yes, the drive is formatted right. and theres no partitions.

Your CD is scratch or dirty or just not a good copy. I, too, have banged my head over the error and several others it kept throwing up. It was the disk I was using. Once I tried a new one, it went fine.

You can download a new copy... there are multiples online in certain places. You are using it legally, so it is just a copy. Make sure to get the same version as the key you have.

damnit...i was hoping it wouldnt come down to that...its gonna take forever to download it since my max speed is 28.7kbps lol

guess ill just clean off the disk and try to remove the 2 minor scratchs...and cross my fingers till they break lol

ok, that didnt work....and i cant find any links on the web for a free download or anywere that lets you put in your key to verify that you have purchased it to get a download. am i not looking good enough, or do they not exist?

You will haev to go thru a torrent to get a XP disc. M$ doesnt offer one for free. You would have to contact Compaq to see if they can sen you a replacement disc but that would wind up costing you like $10.

You will haev to go thru a torrent to get a XP disc. M$ doesnt offer one for free. You would have to contact Compaq to see if they can sen you a replacement disc but that would wind up costing you like $10.

Stuffing an XP disc down 28kbps is gonna be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom