Installing windows via recovery partition on ex HDD to new HDD

jhuggins87

Beta member
Hello,

Basically I'm trying to get my windows 8.1 to my new hard drive, as my current hard drive is failing. i've tried creating a system image but it is transferring too much data (390 gigs) and I don't have the durability left in the HDD to feel comfortable doing that.

When browsing my control panel i saw the option to create a recovery drive from the recovery partition of my current failing hard drive onto a usb drive. So i did it, and the recovery drive is now on my external hard drive.

If i were to replace the hard drive right now, with the brand new hard drive, would i be able to boot windows from my external hard drive and install it to the new hard drive?

Is this recovery software from the pc manufacture to create a set of recovery/restore disks?
The recovery usb drive that you created should be the windows installation (like a recovery dvd disk) Just pop in your new drive and boot up to the usb drive and there should be a guide to allow you to install the o.s. from the usb drive

You best option,.... Stop using your bad drive, get the new drive and clone the old drive to the new drive

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom