Installing Windows Server 2003 with out a CD-ROM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algorithmus

Solid State Member
I was going to install Windows Server 2003 with out a CD-ROM drive and only using a FDD, I was told that this could be done using an image (.iso) of the O/S with software that would run on a floppy and allow me to locate a USB drive or NAS and mount the image using the thin boot client that's on the floppy. Is there any floppy image that anyone knows of that I can do this with. Or another method of installing Server 2003 with out a CD-ROM?

I have never heard of this. Not usign a floppy. That is 1.44MB of information. There is no thin client that small. Not even portable apps are that small.

The only other method would be to copy the install files to the hard drive itself. Tricky but it can be done.

There are floppy boot disks that have USB drivers, what if you just extracted the ISO to the usb drive and installed off it using the boot disk to load the drivers?

Hello,

Just install Windows Server 2003 from a USB flash drive. I've installed Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition successfully on a laptop myself, using the following guide:

EEEguides.com: Install Windows XP on the Asus Eee PC

There are several guides out there and different ways of doing it, but I've found this guide to be the easiest to follow.

Note:
This guide is for installing Windows XP onto any computer using a USB flash drive or USB hard drive. Installing Windows Server 2003 also works.

Also, you'll need a USB flash drive or USB hard drive with at least 1GB capacity.

Ahh i see now. Use the USB to loacte the files on a drive. That can be done yes. But you wont be able to isntall from a ISO. There will be no way to mount it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom