* Installing Windows with no CD-ROM *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linux seems to work well with USB drives, at least in computers that support them. There are some floppy Linuxes, you might also try Smart Boot Manager, which can be booted from a floppy.

pc_boy said:
If i format the drive, then how the F would I install win 2k? CD doesn't work, and it won't boot from external HD

the only thing I can think of is to get a boot disk, enter CMD before windows boots, and then plug in the external HD and do

D: setup.exe

the only problem is that i don't have a floppy disk. Is there any way i can enter the command prompt or DOS style thing without a disk? I tried to boot in Safemode with Command prompt but that doesn't work. I can't let windows start up, or else it won't let me begin the setup.

www.bootdisk.com

CalcProgrammer1 said:
Or, you could pull out the drive, buy a 2.5" to 3" or whatever (Laptop HDD to Desktop IDE cable) adapter for 5 bucks on Newegg or a computer store. Put the Laptop HDD in the adapter, plug the power into a molex connector from your PSU, and the IDE into a free IDE cable, then boot up the desktop, install the OS, then move the drive back into the laptop. The PC I'm using now uses a laptop HDD (old machine, busted laptop, the only working part was the HDD so I put it in this old comp using an adapter, it works great)

this work sometimes. some you will get the bsod

get windows ME, than do a search on this forum where I posted solutions to this problems.

edit. found one

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119168

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom