Installing Windows On FIREWIRE HARDDRIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I would like to see if I can boot Windows up from an external hard drive.
It is possible to have Windows installed on a Firewire hard drive?

You can try this

To specify an "additional mass storage device" (this means disc drive) for Windows 2000 or XP during Setup, press F6 during the boot into text-mode Setup.

To specify an "additional mass storage device" (this means disc drive) for Windows 2000 or XP during Setup, press F6 during the boot into text-mode Setup. At this point insert a floppy containing the drivers. If the drivers came on a CD, you must copy them to a floppy diskette before this step in order to install them.

You may never have noticed the "F6" option before, since it happens at the bottom of the screen and is visible for only a few seconds during a standard install. What you most likely encountered during the setup process was a screen which came up informing you Setup could not find any drives installed on your computer, and it could not continue,

To be able to hit the F6 button, you must restart the Setup process, and watch the bottom of the screen after pressing Enter on the "Welcome to Setup" screen. There will be some moments of files being loaded, and then you should see a message appear which says "Press F6 if you need to install a 3rd party SCSI or RAID driver". This message will only stay on the screen for a couple of seconds, so press F6 as soon as you see it appear. After this is done, you will see other messages appear, and it will act as though nothing is happening, but eventually a screen will appear which will allow you to install the drivers for the HBA or controller.

I will give that one a shot.

The scary thing is this. Last week I was trying this with USB 2.0. I was able to get the hard drive to detect and copy the files from CD. However when it came down to putting up windows for the first time to continue installation. Eg. Name, Serial Number, Etc. Etc. I was given a blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom