Installing Windows 7 on a different drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I just bought 2 500gb hard drives. My original plan was to install one as a internal for storage and the other as a external for backups. My plans have changed due to problems. Now I plan on using both 500gb drives as internal, one for Windows and the other for storage. Now that I think about it, I may just use one for internal and the other as an external.

Right now I have a 250gb drive with Windows 7 on it and one new 500gb as storage. How would I go about removing Windows from the 250gb drive and installing it on the 500gb? Do I just format the 250gb drive with gparted and then install Windows on the 500gb drive? Is it that simple? I do not plan on using the 250gb anymore. I believe it is about to kick the bucket, makes random clicking sounds while running.

I would recommend to format the 250, then take out the 250, and put the 500 in.

I would also suggest not using the entire drive for Windows. I would use up 50-75GB as the Windows patition, and use the remaining space for storage. Easy way to back up.

If you don't want the 250 any more don't even bother formatting it. Just take it out and smash it with a hammer :) more fun than formatting

Then yeah, just stick the 500Gb drive in and install windows like you normally would. And yeah, I'd partition the drive too, maybe a little more than 75Gb (I'd do about 150).

If you don't want the 250 any more don't even bother formatting it. Just take it out and smash it with a hammer :) more fun than formatting

Then yeah, just stick the 500Gb drive in and install windows like you normally would. And yeah, I'd partition the drive too, maybe a little more than 75Gb (I'd do about 150).

If I don't format it, then wouldn't that be like having Windows on two drives at the same time?

Huh? Dude, if you're not gonna use the drive again and you're just gonna bin it, why bother formatting it? Just smash it so peeps can't get your old data, then bin it. And tbh, smashing the drive is MUCH more effective at stopping anyone from getting your old data than formatting is.

Sorry if I am being stupid but the drive in question has Windows installed right now. So according to you, I will be able to just unhook the drive and install Windows on the new drive? Am I missing something here?

So in theory, could I install Windows on 5 different drives and as long as only one is hooked up, it would be fine?

You'll only be able to install windows a few times because there are limitations on how many times you can use your key to activate windows.

Please check the Read First thread. It is in the Retail vs OEM thread.

Also since it is on the same machine that limit doesnt apply. It is only for different machines unless it is OEM. Then you can only install it to 1 machine.

So I can simply unhook the 250gb drive that has Windows on it now and install the same Windows on the new drive with no problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom