installing windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

robina_80

Banned
im trying to install windows XP Pro on this pc, ive upgraded the RAM to 384 and ive just installed a new hard drive its an IDE 500GB Western Digital, i enter bios select boot first from CD, once windows cd boots it then does the usual, then it asks me to select a hard drive and format it so i do, after it completes it restarts the computer and thats when i get the following message.

A disk read error ocurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

does that mean my Hard drive is faulty, or maybe the Hard drive is to big for this pc im trying to install windows on. my pc is a Dell Optiplex GX1 450S+

What had happened with your old hard drive? Is it still inside? If yes, try to install windows on it, and then format the new one with windows tools. If there are any errors - hard drive fault is obvoius.

ive updated thye bios to the latest version A10 also i got the ram where i worked so i dunno what ram it is, also one last question is the cd in the computer is an IDE as you probably have guessed but it doesnt have jumper pins its got none so does that mean its master or slave?!?

That is what is causing your issue. You need to have a jumper set. If not you will get this error. Get a pin for the jumpers.

If it is IDE then it has to have Jumpers. I have never seen a IDE device that didnt in all my years with PC's. You will have to check the online manual for that device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom