Installing Win7 on one system and moving the HDD to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

up-smash

In Runtime
I am trying to get win7 onto an emachine t3604. That machine will not read DVD's so I can't get the system to boot by DVD.(cannot boot from cd code-5)

So I took the HDD out of the t3604, and put it in my system that does allow booting from a DVD. I installed win7 and tried putting the HDD back in the t3604 and win7 crashes on start up, the start up repair doesn't fix anythig. Anyone else have any idaes?

You can't install the OS on a different machine unless it is identical hardware, different drivers are loaded during install. As Thomas said, try installing via USB. You could use an external USB optical drive or create a bootable thumbdrive.

I have an older eMachines machine that I could not get to read a Win 7 DVD. It originally came with just a CD drive. I installed a DVD drive and upgraded to the latest BIOS but it would not boot from the Win 7 DVD. The machine was old enough that it didn't support booting from USB so I never did get Win 7 installed on it.

Strollin is completely correct. You CAN'T install Windows using a different machine and put the hard drive in the original machine. It will not work at all and there is no way around it. So either figure out why you cant boot from the DVD or create a USB to install it.

Strollin is completely correct. You CAN'T install Windows using a different machine and put the hard drive in the original machine. It will not work at all and there is no way around it. So either figure out why you cant boot from the DVD or create a USB to install it.

Sysprep w/ Generalize option selected in Windows 7. Easier to use than in previous version. Seen a couple people recommend it here before.

Also, just an experience that I had:
I was able to take my HDD from my old laptop (Compaq C769us) that had Windows 7 installed, and transfer it to my new laptop that was completely different (Lenovo T61p). It installed the drivers that it needed upon boot and worked, much to my surprise. I didn't think it was going to boot but figured I would try it anyway before I attempted to use sysprep.

Now I'm not at all saying that would work for everyone everytime... I'm just giving one of my experiences that I happened to get lucky on.

That sysprep command sounds like it will do the trick, never used it before. I know you can't just install on one machine and move to another without making some adjustments. Thanks carnageX.

Sysprep w/ Generalize option selected in Windows 7. Easier to use than in previous version. Seen a couple people recommend it here before.

Also, just an experience that I had:
I was able to take my HDD from my old laptop (Compaq C769us) that had Windows 7 installed, and transfer it to my new laptop that was completely different (Lenovo T61p). It installed the drivers that it needed upon boot and worked, much to my surprise. I didn't think it was going to boot but figured I would try it anyway before I attempted to use sysprep.

Now I'm not at all saying that would work for everyone everytime... I'm just giving one of my experiences that I happened to get lucky on.

With windows 7 you can move a disk from 1 machine to another and more often than not after a few reboots to sort out the drivers it will run fine. I personally have done it multiple times during my upgrades. It was much more difficult and less successful with windows xp. I'm not sure why some members said it was impossible as any experienced user should know that with windows 7 it is very possible.

That sysprep command sounds like it will do the trick, never used it before. I know you can't just install on one machine and move to another without making some adjustments. Thanks carnageX.
How To SysPrep Windows 7

That's what I was referencing earlier, just to clarify. And no problem.

With windows 7 you can move a disk from 1 machine to another and more often than not after a few reboots to sort out the drivers it will run fine. I personally have done it multiple times during my upgrades. It was much more difficult and less successful with windows xp. I'm not sure why some members said it was impossible as any experienced user should know that with windows 7 it is very possible.

Yeah, glad W7 is much more forgiving on hardware changes than XP was. XP would just BSOD, unless you did a repair install (then it would usually work). Never tried with Vista though.

But the fact of the matter comes down to this. Taking the hard drive out of a machine, especially if it is pre-built, is going against the EULA (End User License Agreement). the reason being as they install OEM versions. Those OEM versions are tied to the mother board until the death of that mother board. So taking out a pre-built machines hard drive and putting it into a new system requires you to purchase a new license of Windows. If you have a retail copy, you must first format the drive and reinstall it on the new machine. This is also per the EULA of Windows. In order to transfer a retail license you must first remove it from the existing machine and install it on the new machine in order to complete the transfer properly.

So anyway you look at it, this is not the way to do it, even if it does work. It violates the EULA and basically makes your install a pirated install per the EULA. Even though it still says it is a valid install and updates, you broke the EULA which you agreed to when you first booted up Windows and checked the box saying you agreed to those terms. So all aspects aside with if it can be done or not is voided by the EULA. That is your agreement with Microsoft that you will use the software as they have stated. Since you checked the box and agreed, you have to abide by their rules.

I know it stinks, but it is the terms of use of the software.

But the fact of the matter comes down to this. Taking the hard drive out of a machine, especially if it is pre-built, is going against the EULA (End User License Agreement). the reason being as they install OEM versions. Those OEM versions are tied to the mother board until the death of that mother board. So taking out a pre-built machines hard drive and putting it into a new system requires you to purchase a new license of Windows. If you have a retail copy, you must first format the drive and reinstall it on the new machine. This is also per the EULA of Windows. In order to transfer a retail license you must first remove it from the existing machine and install it on the new machine in order to complete the transfer properly.

So anyway you look at it, this is not the way to do it, even if it does work. It violates the EULA and basically makes your install a pirated install per the EULA. Even though it still says it is a valid install and updates, you broke the EULA which you agreed to when you first booted up Windows and checked the box saying you agreed to those terms. So all aspects aside with if it can be done or not is voided by the EULA. That is your agreement with Microsoft that you will use the software as they have stated. Since you checked the box and agreed, you have to abide by their rules.

I know it stinks, but it is the terms of use of the software.

Can't argue with that:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom