Installing video driver without uninstalling original driver a serious problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
Recently I got careless. While upgrading to a more powerful video card, I installed the driver without first installing the driver for the original card. I was able to recover by uninstalling both drivers, removing the original card, and reinstalling the new driver.

I thought I had the problem fixed, although the computer reminded me that it had recovered from a serious error.

Upon next startup, verizon wouldn't give my computer an ip anymore and I couldn't connect to the internet. Since then the computer has been subjected to sundry problems, such as virus scanning giving me a blue screen.

Can uninstalling a new video driver without uninstalling the old one cause so many problems? I am not a windows xp guru, and I am considering formatting the disk and reinstalling everything.

Well, it seems like the problems aren't just being caused by a bad installation of a video driver... Though, I would definitly try Driver cleaner pro then reinstallation of up to date driver.

Just google the program.

If you follow the instructions and complete the process, and odd things still happen, its probably not a video card driver issue...
But, I ( we ) will wait until after your run driver cleaner pro and reinstall updated driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom