installing programs in non operating system partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
Hi everyone.

I'm experimenting with partitions for the first time. I was trying to install open office in my non operating system partitions, but it ended up in the operating system partition.

My question is, it should not be a problem specifically installing my programs in the non operating system partition, correct? I just need to be careful to override the default installation specs, right?

Thanks

That is only if the installer allows for it to be installed on a separate partition. Some installers are forced to install on the system drive.

Other will install to the other drive but you have to remember there will be files still on the OS Drive as well. The profiles among other things will still be stored on the OS drive cause they are stored in the Profile of your user account.

So I'd better make the system partition fairly big if I'm going to install large programs like visual studio and its library, right?

Ah but you can configure the registry to install programs elsewhere. I don't know if I want to get into that right now, however.

Hmm, they state that there is some risk, it is good to make a backup of all programs if installed not in system partition. Wonder why it is risky.

You can configure the Registry to whatever you want. But the fact is this.

The Registry is stored on the OS drive.
You system profile where your program settings are saved on the OS Drive.

In XP check out the Documents & Settings folder. Those folders with Default USer and your user name have a folder in there called Application Data. It is called that for a reason. Cause that is where the Application Data is stored. The settings your change and use in the programs are stored there.

In Vista/Win7 it is in the User area. Under there you will find the different user profiles and from there they have Local, Local Low and Roaming. That is where the Program data is stored.

So you can adjust the Registry all you want. That doesnt stop the settings from being saved to the OS drive.

The reason it is risky, cause any and all adjustments made to the Registry are do at your own risk. Just 1 mistake, miss a comma or anything, could cause complete system failure. So bad that you cant even recovery it in Safe Mode.

So if you wish to do it go ahead. As stated anything with the Registry is do at your own risk and we can not help you after you make the adjustments if something goes wrong. I am telling you that the programs settings are still saved to the OS Drive. Just check out your profile folder to see for yourself. Just to inform you though, you will need to show hidden files.

You are correct. I'll enlarge the system partition and be content with just data in the other partition.

To get the most speed benefit, install your programs on a separate hard drive than your OS instead of just a different partition. This allows your computer to access both at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom