Installing the OS on its own partition? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Installing the OS on its own partition?

Hi gang,
First let me say thanks to the sponsors of the board. This is a great resource with many knowledgeable people here. Also thanks to those folks who seem to hang out here just to help.
I know that Iíve read several times that itís a good idea to install your OS on its own partition in case you have to reinstall it. Iíve got a new Raptor and I want to install XP on it. I thought Iíd give the separate partition thing a try. I figure Iíll need a partition size about 30Gb, and Iíll probably have to move my favorites and documents to the larger partition.
Is there anyone with experience on this that could share some tips on doing this right?
Is it worth the trouble?
Best regards

Old 09-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Installing the OS on its own partition?

Hey lbrusso

Loads of people install their OS, on a separate partition. In my opinion, it helps keeps things organized, between the Windows files, and your personal files. When you install Windows, it will give you an option to set the size of the partition, you want for the OS. 30GB is a good size, for an OS partition.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

in addition, if u have OS in separate partition, in case of anything, viruses, crashes, whatever it is and u need to reformat, u wont lose your personal files. so yeah, you should definitely install OS in another partition.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks. I'm sorry for being late to reply. Been sick as a dog for the past week and I'm only just now getting back here. Thanks again.
Closed Thread